Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it arrived, my dealer and I checked it over good in his dimly lit shop and both agreed that we doubted it had been fired. However, when I got it home, a few swipes with a Q-Tip revealed the telltale signs of powder. In good lighting, you can just barely see a faint drag line on the cylinder and carbon on the cylinder face was obvious.

I can't tell you how relieved I was. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was agonizing over whether I should shoot it or not. Now I can do so with a clear conscience. Still, it was fired very little and I'll probably do the same. BTW, the cylinder locks up like a vault!

Thanks to all that answered my post a few days back.

Enjoy the pics.

Fitz

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
congrats on a nice score.be advised that shooting it will change your opinion on all other revolvers.i think "till death do us part" is fitting /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Sir, but after they test fire it at the factory they clean it thoroughly before shipping (at least that is my experience with S & W). This one was clean when I got it, but not in the tough spots where I go digging with Q-Tips (I likes my guns very clean). So I have to believe that this was fired after that, maybe 12-24 rounds or so. It's all speculation, but the gun is beautiful. It's as close to new as I could have hoped for.

Fitz

·
Registered
115 Posts
Correct. None of them are unfired.

What is with all of this agonizing over to shoot or not to shoot? Hell, that's what they were made for. Unless a common gun like a Python is stone mint in the box with all its papers, etc it's not ever going to be a real collector's item anyway. I have Pythons I've shot thousands of rounds of mild handloads through that I would dare anyone to find any wear on.

Far more guns are harmed by improper storage, wear from holsters, slamming the crane shut and then rotating the cylinder to lock the bolt, handloads that are too hot, etc. than are ever hurt by honest shooting. Take care of the gun, watch what you put through it, keep it out a holster, and store it with a fine coat of Breakfree or the like on it and you can shoot it all you want (within reason) and you will never hurt the value of it. <font color="yellow"> </font>

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Fitz,

Very nice gun and I have to say: very high quality pictures as well! Congratulations and enjoy yourself at the range!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Yes Sir, but after they test fire it at the factory they clean it thoroughly before shipping (at least that is my experience with S & W).

[/ QUOTE ]
Then explain the 3 dirty cylinder faces especially those plainly seen on stainless steel guns?

·
Registered
115 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Then explain the 3 dirty cylinder faces especially those plainly seen on stainless steel guns?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I have a Python Elite that is NIB in my safe right now that came from the Colt factory with a fouled bore. I don't believe for a minute that they clean them before shipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I could be wrong about that. At any rate, Tuesday is shooting night and I can't wait to shoot it!

Thanks for all the comments.

Fitz

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's the spirit. Shoot her and enjoy her, you won't be sorry. Every time I take one of my Colts, especially my Pythons, to the range there is something magical that just isn't there with my other guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts