Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave it awhile, but still do not like how searches on gunbroker work. Sure wish they would go back to the old way. Currently I'm looking for another 1866 Winchester. So I type in 1866 Winchester and click the no reserve button like I always do (I have learned a reserve GB auction means the seller does not want to part with his item). I get a lot of stuff like this:
Winchester Wildcat 22LR 40Gr Lead Round Nosethat shows up in the searches. AAARRGGHHH. I also want a 2 band 1866 trapdoor, so in the old days I would just type in 1866 and be able to look at both the trapdoors and the Winchesters, now it brings up :
DW Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander 45acp Like New!!and hundreds of others. Did it stop me form going to gunbroker? No, but it did limit me. I often don't want to deal with it and will stop looking for awhile. This has bit me...I have missed guns I DEFINITELY would have bid on.

Whew! Rant over.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
There's sites other than Gunbrokers though it's probably the biggest and most well known. Try Guns International (which is not an auction site operation) and there's other auction sites as well. Subscribe to Auction Zip and you'll get notices of other auctions but you'll have to weed out the non-gun auctions within the auction notices. I've found local auctions to often be very good hunting grounds.

You our can try Googling "Winchester 1866 for sale" and see what it brings up. I've done pretty good with Gunbrokers over time but they keep changing the format parameters making it tougher on the consumer. I don't go there nearly as much anymore.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I agree. I remember that when I would search for Star Pistols the listings for Star pistols would pop up. Okay sometimes you'd get a few other listings with Star in the title that weren't Star pistols, but where a Shooting Star, etc. Not any more. now you get a whole list of options to filter and Star in under other manufacturers: Huh!

At least with some items, and that is if GB has them in their filters, you can go to: rifles; Lever action; Winchester; Model 86, 94, etc.; caliber.

Its not just GB. Midway USA use to have a decent search engine and you could actually scroll down and click on what you wanted to look at. Not anymore, everything is grouped together.

And as soon as you get use to a web site they change it, and being a computer dummy its like learning how to walk again.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It's a sign of the times in my opinion, they push products to sell to you to make more money. Kinda like how a site will follow you to your next site still trying to push what you just looked at.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Gave it awhile, but still do not like how searches on gunbroker work. Sure wish they would go back to the old way. Currently I'm looking for another 1866 Winchester. So I type in 1866 Winchester and click the no reserve button like I always do (I have learned a reserve GB auction means the seller does not want to part with his item). I get a lot of stuff like this:
Winchester Wildcat 22LR 40Gr Lead Round Nose

that shows up in the searches. AAARRGGHHH. I also want a 2 band 1866 trapdoor, so in the old days I would just type in 1866 and be able to look at both the trapdoors and the Winchesters, now it brings up :
DW Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander 45acp Like New!!

and hundreds of others. Did it stop me form going to gunbroker? No, but it did limit me. I often don't want to deal with it and will stop looking for awhile. This has bit me...I have missed guns I DEFINITELY would have bid on.

Whew! Rant over.
yep,they fixed it til it broke

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
It's a sign of the times in my opinion, they push products to sell to you to make more money. Kinda like how a site will follow you to your next site still trying to push what you just looked at.
That may be the intent but for me at least and maybe others it's pushing me away from the site. Before, if say I did a search for "Colt Trooper" I got maybe a half-dozen pages of Colt Troopers to peruse. Now I get dozens of pages full of things completely unrelated to my search terms. It's too much of a pain to try and set the filters to trim out the extraneous stuff so I tend not to go there very often anymore. Ebay has gotten much the same.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
That may be the intent but for me at least and maybe others it's pushing me away from the site. Before, if say I did a search for "Colt Trooper" I got maybe a half-dozen pages of Colt Troopers to peruse. Now I get dozens of pages full of things completely unrelated to my search terms. It's too much of a pain to try and set the filters to trim out the extraneous stuff so I tend not to go there very often anymore. Ebay has gotten much the same.
Ya it torques me when I am looking for one item and they flood my screen with "you may be interested in this". My daughter loaded an app on my tablet so there is no tracking by these sales people. It's working so far..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts