Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to Paul at Colt Archives the Colt left the factory as a Official Police on March 01, 1930 and went to H.D. Folsom in New York. (You know the city that makes Salsa...LOL). Sometime in 1934 +/-, the revolver went to Kings. The Official Police barrel was removed and a Tapered “Officers Model 38 Heavy Barrel “ was installed.

Along with this alteration was the King Mirror/ orange dot front Sight was added, and something even Paul hadn’t seen was a Adjustable rear sight fitted into the sight channel of the Official Police receiver. A Target Hammer and Target trigger was added and a white spacer added in the grip panels to suit the shooter.

“VP” left trigger bob and the letter “T” stamped above serial number on Crane frame.

The owner that I received the gun from, was my Captain at Carson Station in 1976. He began his career with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department on March 21, 1952 and Honorably retired as a Division Chief, (4th from the Top) on January 01, 1983. Chief Wheatley a close friend all these years, and lived a couple of miles from me, passed away in February of this year. But Jim failed to tell me where or how he obtained the revolver.. So now, it’s all speculation, but he did have it it his entire career. Jim always remarked he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, I think that must have been tongue in cheek remarks.

My personal observations after an extensive cleaning and shooting, is the gun is very accurate. Though it does work double action, it’s not as smooth as the single action function. feels like I must have missed some varnish someplace. Jim stated the last time he had fired it was mid 1950’s when he made Sgt., and was transferred to Vice. Probably the last time he was in uniform. I know that after talking to surviving family members, Jim’s father did not own the gun, best to their knowledge, but that’s not set in concrete. I refused to shoot the gun anymore. It deserves to be retired.

EDIED: I also would like to mention that anyone who may have worked with Jim in his early years, have also passed, so they are no help. The LASD Muesuem and Archives doesn’t have any firearm information relating to private ownership of personal firearms.

Pictures removed

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
That’s a nice piece Michael - the story is even better .
I have no answers for you , but I’d bet money someone HERE has some valid answers.
i also think it’s GREAT you have his badge .

im sure you have great memories of Jim , and he’s cool with his badge n heater in your possession.

Good Luck with your answers , hopefully the knowledgeable member reads soon.
Maybe modify the heading with revolver type and/or some key words

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That is an awesome revolver. Thanks for sharing it with us. We have a ca. 1937 Officers model with King sights and modified for single action only use, which is at the top of my list of favorite shooters. But we don’t have the great story to go along. Again, thank you for sharing this with us.

Tom

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Kid you really should write all your life experiences (LASD, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Museum/Foundation, etc) into a book - you have some pretty "bonafides"!

That is an awesome revolver. Thanks for sharing it with us. We have a ca. 1937 Officers model with King sights and modified for single action only use, which is at the top of my list of favorite shooters. But we don’t have the great story to go along. Again, thank you for sharing this with us.

Tom
Tom - here's my 1937 King Super Target, SAO; I'll PM you the SN to see how close they are!

·
Banned
33 Posts
That’s a nice piece Michael - the story is even better .
I have no answers for you , but I’d bet money someone HERE has some valid answers.
i also think it’s GREAT you have his badge .

im sure you have great memories of Jim , and he’s cool with his badge n heater in your possession.

Good Luck with your answers , hopefully the knowledgeable member reads soon.
Maybe modify the heading with revolver type and/or some key words
+1

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Very cool gun! Looks like a S&W sight and I believe, possibly a King Hammer. I know I’ve saw that hammer several times before, I can’t recall the make, it’s a “good” one tho.

Reactions: Kid Sopris

·
Registered
936 Posts
Did King make the target hammer and trigger? 30 plus years ago, a friend of mine owned a Python and wanted a wider smooth trigger on it. I took his trigger and had it welded up on the sides. I reshaped it to look like a S&W trigger and my friend was happy.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Very cool gun! Looks like a S&W sight and I believe, possibly a King Hammer. I know I’ve saw that hammer several times before, I can’t recall the make, it’s a “good” one tho.
Did King make the target hammer and trigger? 30 plus years ago, a friend of mine owned a Python and wanted a wider smooth trigger on it. I took his trigger and had it welded up on the sides. I reshaped it to look like a S&W trigger and my friend was happy.
YES, all the modifications are King..Interesting observations.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Kid you really should write all your life experiences (LASD, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Museum/Foundation, etc) into a book - you have some pretty "bonafides"!

Tom - here's my 1937 King Super Target, SAO; I'll PM you the SN to see how close they are!

Nice Sanderson stocks.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I can’t make the pics out too good but I’m almost positive King used a S&W Pre-War sight and modified it.

Reactions: Kid Sopris

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can’t make the pics out too good but I’m almost positive King used a S&W Pre-War sight and modified it.
Im reasonably certain after my research that, in the grand scheme of things, few guns ever made it to “King’s” for sights, that didn’t also get some sort of action work. I think Colts were the predominant revolver sent for work. I think it’s safe to say that this gun had “King’s” service between 1934-1939., Why ? because as America came closer to W.W II, “King’s” concentrated this work on Military Arms, primarily M1 Carbine, turning down civilian work, it’s reported. Dean King became ill in the later part of WWII and died in the early 1950’s.. Dean Kings wife attempted to keep the Company going during those turbulent years with no positive outcome.

I personally don’t know how rare or common this revolver is, though I have never seen another, despite dragging my wagon around the block for 71 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts