Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not intended to be a provocative post, nor is it in any way intended as disrespect to Colt firearms. I just realized something about myself, along the lines of the recent "Ever feel like Quitting?" thread. You may recall my recent post asking about the New Frontier 45 SAA. As I pondered this revolver and looked at the price I came to a conclusion that surprised even myself. I didn't want this modern Colt at that price, or in fact at any price. This stocked me.

I have come to realize that there is something very special about owning, handling and shooting a Colt, but for me this ends in the 1950s somewhere. I love OLD Colts, in just the same way I love old Harleys. Again, I have no interest in post- Shovelhead Harleys and see the company as a purveyor of vintage bikes. (and I want the real ones) I see the Colt the same way. As the Boomers die off I think both companies may find themselves in trouble finding buyers.

There are new guns in my safe, some from old companies. Walther for example. Nothing coming out of Colt right now interests me. I was like a shocking thing to admit to even myself.

Here's another revelation. While I see my Ubertis and Cimmarons as "Colt clones" that I can shot, there are some revolvers that I see as fine designs in there own rights entirely, guns that are just as good or better (for my purposes) than a Colt. For example the Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawk. They are the evolution of the revolver. Very well made and finished, solid and a joy to look at and shoot.

Yes - they are cheaper and some of you will say you get what you pay for, and Colts are special and apart. Is this true? I think Colts are special but I also think the market has overheated and anything with the Rampant Colt on it goes for ... perhaps silly money right now. Again - I left the Harley Owners Group for the same reasons. Big money posers wobbling down the road in new leathers, smelling like a equine tack shop. They just wanted to ride five miles to a coffee shop and pose in their leathers looking like a pirate. They discovered Harley and killed it.

So - for less than the cost of the New Frontier - I have TWO Ruger Vaqueros in Bisley trim, polished stainless, original boxes and paperwork (because they're new!) with bonded ivory fluer-de- lis stocks. Some will say "if you're happy that's all that matters" in a tone that means it. Some will say it in a tone that means "if you can't tell the difference then I'll be polite". I get that. What I do know is that they are handsome guns that will outlast me thousands of rounds later.

In conclusion, I think I treasure my old Colt and S&W revolvers even more after this new realization, but for me the doors closed on them as companies some time ago.

When the government releases the Vaquero I will post a few pictures.

Thanks for listening to an old fart.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Porsches? I once spent a couple of years building a air cooled 3.6 911. Good enough to get featured in EXCELLENCE. I kept doing test drives of the new 911s as they came out. A buddy who was a much better driver than I asked what I thought of the GT3. Nice car but it was nothing at all like my updated 3.6 in an older and lwt body. Cost of the GT3 at the time was about the same as my rebuild.

But the older car was just way, way more fun to drive.

Lots of nice guns available to the polymer generation. I've shot many of them. I just don't get the enjoyment out of most (any?) of them that I do enjoy an old Colt SAA ( a good clone or a properly sorted 3rd Gen for that matter). I know Rugers are technically better guns. Just as I know a N frame Smith is as well. Just like the GT3 was a much better car....it just wasn't the experience I was looking for. That might change if I live long enough, as the GT2 RS looks pretty fun.

Till then I enjoy the experience and challenge of a SAA and the earlier 911s :)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Colt takes us back to a time in the days of our youth when American made products were first class- totally first class

Levis- people over seas would damn near kill for them, American automobiles were the best in the world, American electronics and tech the best in the world, the 1911 the best Combat handgun in the world, the SAA the best single action revolver in the world.

And so on..

We remember that and look back wistfully- at least I do.

COLT means something to you, if you are a shooter who was raised old American, believes in the Constitution- and was raised on Cowboy oater TV shows and old school Cowboy movies.

When I go to the range I take a SAA, and/or a Ruger New Vaquero, Smith N frame, and/or a lever gun. I know the polymer guns are light, quick, reliable and deadly- but I am not.. Well.. reliable I'm that- I like to think anyway. lol

Polymer guns do nothing for me

I don't buy guns to squirrel away- if you do, more power to you- but not my M.O.

I love the idea of someone buying a COLT SAA to use for decades as a hard working ranch gun, plinker, a hunter, a self defense gun, a target pistol and so on. Putting decades of hard use on it and passing it on to the family or a good friend.

Makes me damn sad and maudlin as hell to think that that is almost for sure not happening anymore- and probably never will again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with much of the OP's comments. Only disagreement would be on the Harley. My 2003 Fatboy was a superior motorcycle in many ways versus my 70's Shovel. Harley had quality issues in the 70's and 80's - just like Colt. The difference is that made changes, addressed QC issues and made some really good motorcycles. I don't think COLT as a company has ever corrected those issues. Muscle cars, motorcycles, guns...hard to beat the 50's and 60's quality.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Colt may not be the company it used to be but there enough fine examples to be had. I personally don’t like or own anything made by Ruger.
I don’t even like seeing their name on a Colt site.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I agree with much of the OP's comments. Only disagreement would be on the Harley. My 2003 Fatboy was a superior motorcycle in many ways versus my 70's Shovel. Harley had quality issues in the 70's and 80's - just like Colt. The difference is that made changes, addressed QC issues and made some really good motorcycles. I don't think COLT as a company has ever corrected those issues. Muscle cars, motorcycles, guns...hard to beat the 50's and 60's quality.
Once you went through them and straightened out any small issues, the AMF Harleys of the '70s were fine bikes. Without AMF, Harley Davidson would not have survived.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Just typed for 1/2 hour and lost content , will try again @*$1%*;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wow crazy thread drift here , but relevant .I read the OP yesterday and responded with
a panzer panhead in a paughco rigid with a baker four speed is a bad ass sled.
however , still not a Harley . A ruger ( or any other possibly high quality firearm or repo brand ) is still what it is

I did not send it yesterday ...... more to come

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Speaking of Harley posers. There was a pharmacist in my home town. Ran his own drug store. Clean cut, mild mannered, un-assuming guy like all pharmacists. Every summer he would don a long wig, fake beard, leathers and even a jean jacket vest adorned with patches and take his Harley on trips by himself. I guess he wanted to be a 'biker', maybe an alter ego thing. But if you saw this guy, the last thing you would think is 'outlaw biker' haha. I don't know what would happen if his wig blew off going down the road. It was a very weird thing.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have ridden four speed evos since I was 17 in 86 .
this was before Harley’s became poser main stream .
The evolution motor and wannabes saved Harley.

my low riders and Wide Glide are the last link to Harley’s great past.
they are shovels in every way except an aluminum top end
My silver FXSB has 100 rw horse and torque outta 80 cubes , basically full race.

ersiii made comment on his 03 fat boy . I had a 03 night train . It buried the speedo @120 .
i loved the smoothness and technology of the tin can - but just didn’t have the cool factor of the four speed.
i realized how sick the FXSB was on daily or weekly switches

1 - 20 of 37 Posts