Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
It looks similar in concept to the Barami Hip Grip (or the Hip Grip is similar in concept to this). You can slip it inside the waist of your pants and the added piece keeps the gun from slipping through.

At least that's my take on it.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember....pants pockets were much bigger back then. Lots of cases where guys carried pistols inside pants pockets. Could be for inside the RH pocket. Don't know if this was the case or not here.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
That's a pretty nifty belt clip. And it isn't just a piece of crap welded on there. It's pretty stylish and looks effective. More secure than when a right hand guy opens the loading gate to keep the gun from going down their pants.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Neat! Although I don't see it as left handed. I see it as a right handed in the waste band clip. I have experimented without success carrying various handguns in my pants wasteband. I am big and fat. I think for it to work well you have to be lean and harder built. This with the longer clip than just opening the loading gate looks like it should work better. You have the longer barrel to support the gun than those grips with the hook built in. They ALWAYS show those on a snub. I have never had one but on me I would think it would tend to pop out of my pants and fall on the concrete if I even laughed!

·
Registered
505 Posts
. . . on me I would think it would tend to pop out of my pants and fall on the concrete if I even laughed!
Then, don't laugh!

I've carried my Ruger Buckeye in the waste band/belt--left side, butt forward for many years. (I think my hip bone is forming around it!) This hook looks as if it would be handy to use.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Wasn't it at least somewhat common for some to leave the loading gate open to accomplish the same thing?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Supposedly it was done. However, I reason that with action and/or recoil the open gate could easily let a live cartridge back out and tie things up for you on trying a following shot. Guess it all boils down to what works and feels comfortable to the individual. I uniform carried over 35 years OTJ. I guess we had to get used to it. Now retired it seems I find a lighter pocket pistol more disagreeable than I was with the duty rig all those years.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Frank Hammer would stick "Old Lucky" in his waist band. I always assumed he used the loading gate to hold it in place. Looks like overkill to me.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Wish photobucket worked. I had posted a picture here before of a double barreled .50 caliber pin fire pistol I own. The two triggers swing up in the frame like a Colt Patterson. It has two exposed hammers. It breaks open like a double barrel shotgun. I suspect it was built in Belgium around 1840 era. It has two screw holes in the left side of the frame. I think it was for a clip like that. My old collector friend that gave me the pistol fifty years ago thought it had the clip screwed in those holes and thought it was possibly a "boarding pistol" used by pirates worn on their sash or belt. I once seen a very similar pistol but it didn't have the screw holes for the lost clip. Outside of just a little engraving, mine has no makers name nor proof marks of any kind on it. Just a assembly #13 on it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wouldn't have thought of something like that for a revolver, but I have seen hooks like that on flintlock pistols, (left side).

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Having made at least a dozen belt hooks for flintlocks, wheellocks, derringer & automatic -- but never for a revolver; this one looks like it needs to be twice as long to be effective for an arm the size of a SAA & should be on the other side. While on the subject -- my G-Father, deputy sheriff 1890s Texas, just flipped open the loading gate to keep his .45 SAA from slipping further down in his waistband ---->

1 - 20 of 25 Posts