Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came to own these and I have some questions about them that I figure only you guys can probably answer. You can click on any image for a larger version of it:

When I bought them I thought; "Those look like they go on a Bisley, how cool is that?"

Then I did a thing which resulted in great confusion in both my head and among the people at my local gunstore. I tried putting them on a 1907 Bisley they had there:

As you can see, that didn't work out so well.

So I went off and hunted up a Ruger Bisley as I wasn't terribly familiar with that shape. I wasn't able to get any pictures of how that fit, but again it was a no go. The size of the Bisley was much closer then that of a Ruger, which was pretty far off.

After a lot of casting around online to try to figure out what they might go to I noticed that nearly no old guns had that partial circle cut out right below the hammer as the Bisley does. In fact the only thing I figured out in my digging was that maybe they were made for a Number 5?

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with them no matter what they go to. They are just blamed pretty and I believe they are real (an opinion backed up by a few guys in the local gunstore who know a lot more about old guns then I do, even if I am getting there). One thing that tends to make me think they are old and not just aged is that it looks like the grip escutcheon on the left side was replaced. It isn't a perfect fit in there, and I think there is some rust residue in there that doesnt appear to have come from the escutcheon in there.

At the very least it isn't a perfect fit in there, and I can't fathom why someone would go to all that work making ivory grips, scrimshawing them, then aging them, only to not fit it perfectly.

All in all they are certainly mysterious to me and the people I usually rely on to tell me just what it is I have come across this time. I would very much appreciate any opinions or information anyone might have on them.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
That snake and eagle motif sure makes me think of something Mexican but for the life of me I can't figure out the angle of that grip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's my best guess, a Number 5 for someone with small hands?

They are just so very very strange because they are so well made. I was hoping I was unaware of some gun or variation of a gun someone could point out to me.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
From the top end of them I can't imagine they were made for anything other than a bisley model.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Could they be for the Ruger Bisley? I haven't handled the Ruger version so I'm not sure how their profile compares to a Colt. I see that you checked into this. Not sure what you have there.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
If I had them and cherished them enuf, I'd get a Bisley & re-work the grip frame to fit the grips & change that bilious color they have to something believable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about a Ruger Single-Six, .22 cal.....Jim
That thought had crossed my mind, but all the information I could find on the Single Six Bisley is that it is the exact same grip as both the Vaquero and Blackhawk Bisleys, which seems right to me considering the only single six bisley I have held seemed like it had a pretty massive grip on it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Perhaps a length and width ruler next to a grip panel will help???.Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts