Colt Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
One of the easiest "fixes" for ivory is the epoxy method. If you cannot get a supply of ivory to do this, another way is to mix up as much two-part epoxy as you need, color the still wet epoxy mix accordingly with ground deer, elk or moose antler dust and apply it to the affected area in two or three layers until the desired level is arrived at.

I've repaired a few ivory, as well imitation ivory grips for guns and knife scales over the years and it seems to work well. It's also very strong and the good part is, it doesn't damage the ivory in any way at all.

Good luck with whatever you end up trying.

Bud

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here's my Rube Goldberg 09_rg_rube_goldberg_inventions_usps_stamp.jpg solution. First I need to thank Rick Bowles, Saintcalair, and Some Guy for their advise and ivory pieces. Especially "Some Guy"who sent me fairly large bags of ivory powders both course and fine. I tried several of different trialspowdered samples/watery crazy glue and could not get a good color match. I wound up just matching the best I could. First I made a frame in the exact angle of the grip corner. Then I lines the corner with parchment paper (crazy glue doesn't stick to it much). Then forced (rubber band) grip into the frame corner to get as tight a fit as possible. Then sprinkled "some Guy's ivory course powder followed by just a drop of "watery" crazy glue to allow just capillary action down into the powder. Then a lot of careful hand sanding with 320. 800, and 2000 grit paper. The results are not perfect but I'm satisfied with the result. IMG_3831.jpg IMG_3833.jpg IMG_3834.jpg IMG_3836.jpg

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Excellent work
That looks amazing
Thank you for sharing it with us
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts