Colt Forum banner

Ivory Grips: Elephant vs Mammoth vs Walrus

16K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  tazaroo 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm just making a quick post hoping anyone with experience could give me some input. It's sort of hard finding this information through google.

Basically, I know there are hundreds of alternatives, but I've got my heart set on getting my 1936 detective special a pair of classic style white ivory grips. I don't support the death of animals or any of that nonsense. However, if it's done legally and responsibly, I'm not too concerned about using grips made from that material.

Either way though, the question I have is what are the major differences in feel, texture, durability, and all else between Elephant Ivory, Mammoth Ivory, and Walrus Ivory? Personal and professional opinions welcome. I've been looking around at my options, and what I can't find is what are the true differences between these when it comes to usage, shooting, feel, strength, etc. Not really aesthetic, because pictures do that answer wonders. Elephant Ivory is the go to standard, but if that's not an option (due to laws), which other type of ivory is the closest alternative? I've heard of modern walrus, pre-ban walrus, fossilized walrus, ancient walrus, fossilized mammoth, regular mammoth, and the list goes on. I know half of these are probably synonymous with each other, thus why I am here to ask you all! Some have also said camel bone is more durable than ivory, so I'm not sure if anyone has experience with that?

EDIT: While we're at it, I'll throw in Giraffe Bone and Rams horn. That's what the fellows over at Nutmeg are currently using for grips, and while I really like what they do, I'm not sure how I feel about giraffe bone for grips. Is it any good? Does it compare to ivory? I was told by a reputable individual that giraffe bone is just a name and not even guaranteed to be giraffe bone, which makes me iffy. Not sure how true that is.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I got a pair of giraffe grips for my .45 IMBEL M911A1 (th Brazilian Colt Government clone, made by the same factory that used to provide Springfield Armory parts until 2012 I guess) for $75.00 at e-bay sometime ago.
It really looks good in hand and also has a great looking. I only wish it could have a more "yellowish" color, but I am quite happy.
I am curious about the other options like Mammoth Ivory and Walrus Ivory, but these are somewhat expensive.

Attachments

#4 ·
Nothing beats real elephant ivory. It's actually quite durable as well as good looking. I dropped a 1911 grip panel several feet onto a tile floor and to my amazement (and relief) it did not break or chip. Mammoth ivory, being thousands of years old, can be brittle and to me it just did not feel the same. Depending on the surrounding minerals where it was buried it can also be colorful. I don't know anything about Walrus and not much of a fan of bone grips.

Jim

#5 ·
This Colt SAA has Giraffe Bone grips. For one, it is at least half the price of ivory. I also like the different colors (some of which is resin injected into the bone to give it strength) and grain. Ivory can be to stark white for my tastes, I like a little age on them. I have seen some giraffe bone that did not look good and I just happened luck out with mine as I like them better than ivory. Don't get me wrong, I love ivory grips and have had them in the past when it was more affordable, now it is just to expensive, as they can cost more than the gun! Good luck! Tom

Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Gun barrel

#7 ·
This Colt SAA has Giraffe Bone grips. For one, it is at least half the price of ivory. I also like the different colors (some of which is resin injected into the bone to give it strength) and grain. Ivory can be to stark white for my tastes, I like a little age on them. I have seen some giraffe bone that did not look good and I just happened luck out with mine as I like them better than ivory. Don't get me wrong, I love ivory grips and have had them in the past when it was more affordable, now it is just to expensive, as they can cost more than the gun! Good luck! Tom

View attachment 672915
That's definitely one of the appeals of giraffe bone! Much cheaper for sure. You've got yourself a nice set, and I'm glad you like them. :) Everyone has their own opinion. I happen to like plainer white rather than streaks of colour, but they look good both ways. For now, I'm still keeping my eyes out for real ivory, but I'll keep giraffe on my mind. It definitely looks good. I just know some people say it doesn't fully compare. Also, thanks!

#6 ·
@Douglas Thanks for the input. Those grips aren't bad looking at all! Especially for 75 dollars, not a bad deal. How would you describe the feel of them? And how durable do they seem to be?

@Jim Thanks for your input too. That's what I hear! Unfortunately, I don't know where to get any real ivory grips. The only guy I knew who sold any in my state (Ohio) ran out of them sometime recently and didn't have them when I went to get a pair. :( I imagine mammoth ivory is still very nice, but my fear is it'll be somewhat more brittle than regular ivory and lack the same feel. I know it can be colorful, but I like the classic plain creamy white look. That's why I'm wondering about Walrus, though. Their tusks can still be sold interstate and aren't thousands of years old like mammoth. I'm not much interested in bone, but I'm leaving it on the back-burner as a fallback choice.

#24 ·
@Douglas Thanks for the input. Those grips aren't bad looking at all! Especially for 75 dollars, not a bad deal. How would you describe the feel of them? And how durable do they seem to be?
Sorry for my late reply.
Well, I was kind of surprise how smooth the giraffe set is. As I have a medium to large hands, I enjoyed the fact that these are slightly larger than an ordinary sized grips.

#9 ·
Don't know what state you are in, but some states are moving beyond federal law in banning ivory, and that could continue. If you get ivory, you might find that someday in some states you cannot sell or transfer it. So far, the anti ivory people have not gone after ivory of species that are already extinct.

#10 ·
I'm not a fan of Giraffe bone. I had a set on my 1911, and they always felt ice cold in my hand. And they were real smooth to the touch. Never quite felt comfortable. I went back to wood. My elephant ivory on my SAA does not have this effect. It seems natural and warm in my hand. And i have a good grip on it. Feels amazing to be honest. I have no experience with mammoth or Walrus. But I've read other threads that say Walrus isn't very strong. Being sea based, its a different kind of ivory and more brittle or something. Wont stand up to the test of time like Elephant. I'm sure Rick will give a much better description of the composition and feel of the different ivories.

#11 ·
I'm in Ohio. So far the worst of the laws don't seem to have hit here yet, thankfully, but yeah sadly that's the direction we seem to be going overall.

Thanks for the input, Chiz. That's one of the reasons I want to find real elephant ivory if possible. It's hard to duplicate the natural and warm feel I hear about that comes with it. As for walrus, I hadn't heard that argument, but I could definitely see being sea-based as a cause of being inferior in strength. I'd love it if Rick could drop by. I'm not familiar with him, but he sounds like he knows his stuff. Hopefully he finds this!

Also, @BusaDave, who is Paul P? I'm sure he's located in a different state, but I'm curious about any grip makers still working with elephant ivory. A set for your python sounds lovely!

#16 ·
Oh, I know. I mentioned in another comment there was a local grip seller who had ivory grips, but he apparently sold out of them by the time I went to buy a pair. And being ivory, it's unpredictable if he'll get more. Other than that, I haven't found anyone local who makes things out of elephant ivory yet.

Also, thanks for the resources guys!

#17 · (Edited)
There is also Hippo Ivory- Burnham the famous old scout had a set of Hippo ivory grips on his Remington revolver. Hippos are not endangered I don't think and kill a lot of people in Africa- but I am not sure if Hippo Ivory is banned.

Rick will know for sure.

hippo ivory is not allowed in states like California, backtracked and found this link

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/si...at-scouts-s-hippo-ivory-revolver-grips-2.html

Not sure if it is banned US wide.

#18 · (Edited)
Sorry to be late to the party. First, all ivory is tooth and except for any exterior texture, should "feel" the same if they are polished to the same degree. That feel should be cooler to the touch not warmer. Green or new Walrus ivory is controlled under MMPA. Mammoth ivory tends to seperate like the rings of an onion making it difficult, though not impossible, to find a suitable piece for revolver stocks. Most Mammoth is used for model O style panels. Since you are in Ohio, contact David Warther (330-852-6096) ask for David and tell him I sent you. He will know any Ohio stock makers, he can sell you the ivory and should have some. I would also go to some of the great gun shows put on by the OGCA. I imagine you could find some ivory stocks there. Lastly, if you want Elephant ivory you may not be satisfied with second best.

#20 ·
No worries! I'm just happy you came. People speak highly of your opinion, so I appreciate you taking the time to reply. :) Thank you for the information! It makes sense that any ivory (interior) should ideally feel the same when polished to the same degree. I looked around, and I did find a couple sources that might supply the type of mammoth ivory I would need for my stocks, which I didn't realize it separated into layers like that. Definitely explains why most slabs/blanks sold are fairly small and larger ones are expensive.

I agree with your last statement though, that if I want elephant ivory, I fear I won't be satisfied with second best. With that being said, thank you for providing David's information and mentioning the OGCA. Having resources like that will make it immensely easier finding a pair or having some made within my own state! Unfortunately, I looked at the website and OGCA seems to be fairly exclusive. Unless you're invited to attend an event by a current member, you can't go to the gun show. :( However, I will definitely give David a call and mention your name. That'll get me started in the right direction for sure.

Thanks again, Rick. It's much appreciated!

#19 · (Edited)
I may be shunned for this, but my favorite "look" has always been the jigged bone as shown on the closing scenes of Gunsmoke or the guns that Roy Rogers always toted. That look was also on the plastic fake stag grips by Franzite many years ago in their advertising.

These are genuine fake plastic Franzite from ca. 1959 or so:

But then, there are these from Patrick Grashorn, of which I'm mighty proud:

Bob Wright

#25 ·
#23 ·
Hello , Are you going to make these grips yourself or are you looking for slabs to be made by others? I'm just cureious on others grip projects , small hobby of mine. If you come across a good core piece of mammoth it will be no different than the modern day beast. Maybe some mineral stain( adds a touch of individual look ) but not brittle like some say, what ever that means as a comparative . You could post out the size you would need and who knows what's out there.

#26 ·
@some guy If I can't find a solid pair of ivory grips locally, I would probably have someone else make these grips for me, and I would supply the slabs myself if they didn't already have some on hand. I emailed a couple suppliers with my dimensions but haven't heard back from all of them. I have discovered though that those good core pieces of mammoth you speak of are super expensive. It is good to know though that in your opinion they're not as brittle as some say. Definitely reassuring.

@Douglas No worries! Good to know. Thanks for getting back to me. Glad the size of them compliment your hand size! Even though they were smoother than you had expected, do they still grip well?

#28 ·
Now that's a thought . I read some were years ago (BI) before internet that the average feel of the human finger is to one thousand of an inch . dandak , you are a touchy feely guy ;) , just hacking mind you.
Take care. --- Spirt , Good luck man . -- Some (not real name).

Reactions: Spirit and dandak
#31 · (Edited)
I'll be hacking on this chunk today. It's 26 outside and drop to the mid to lower teens for a few days this week , gives me time to mess around. Like I say , small hobby of mine. The half finished set will be a one piece to a 2nd gen. SAA in .45 colt . Cuisine Food Finger Dish Chinese food
Wood Food Dish Cuisine
Wood Wood stain Rock Hand Tree

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.