Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of grips that were sold to me as being ivory or bone, and came off a Colt.
I've done tests to determine if they're ivory - they feel greasy, they're cold on my face, a hot needle will not penetrate (the needle broke). I think they're ivory.
Then I set out to see what Colt they belonged to. I'm a little backwards - most people get a gun and change the grips.
So far, they match up to a Colt Official Police but not the Colt Positive. I haven't tried an Officers Model yet.
Were these a common update on the Police models? Any info would be appreciated (ivory or not, age, value, etc).
Thanks.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
As far as fit if they work on an Official Police then they'd fit any I/E frame such as the Officers Model(s), Trooper and Python. The Police Positive, Police Positive Special, Detective Special are all D frame. I'm not an ivory expert but they certainly appear old ivory. There is Mastadon ivory but I'm not familiar enough to tell the differences. Nice pickup in any event.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Looks like some genuine ivory to me. Most likely elephant.

You don't even have to wait for these ones to age either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought them thinking they might fit one of my full framed percussion revolvers (Remington) but...nope. I live in MA so it might be tough to find a "compliant" Colt.
I talked to a shooter yesterday who once bought a gun to match a holster - that's a little more backwards than finding a gun to fit grips.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
21,835 Posts
Battis, I have a set of ivory grips that were made for a 1858 Remington cap and ball pistol. They seem to be fit and polished for the gun, but the original owner never drilled them for the screw. They are nice grips if someone like swamprat were to finish them off. I could do the work myself, but I do not own an 1858 Remington, so I have no reason to spend time on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now the tough part...
I'd like to keep them but they do not fit any of the guns I own. I could buy a gun to fit them but I don't sleep well with one eye open.
Several members have said they'd buy them...
What would they be worth? (good deal for seller and buyer). Searching online doesn't show much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ivory grips dry out quite easily. I have a vintage set that are yellow and have cracks like yours. Every 3 months I coat them with mineral oil on both sides and let them sit over night. I live in Las Vegas where the humidity is low, so this helps
them stay hydrated and retards further cracking. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I brought the grips to a local gun shop that had a .38 Colt Official Police revolver. My grips fit perfectly and really looked good against the old blue. But, the salesman thought the grips were bone, based on the weight. I think they're pretty heavy. So it's back to the testing - ivory vs bone. They're very smooth, no signs of pores, also no signs of the cross lines of ivory. Cold to the touch. Tough one.
They're asking $475 for the Colt (great condition). Tempting. It's not a carry gun but I'll bet it's accurate as heck.

I think it's settled:
A little more research and better pics shows Schreger lines that form angles less than 90 degrees, which means mammoth ivory. You can see the V-shaped lines on the bottom of the grips.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice aged elephant ivory grips. The cracking is due to the lack of moisture as Ivory dries out quite easily. I have a set of aged, cracked ivories on my nickel, 3 1/2 inch S&W pre=27. Every 3 months I apply a coat of Mineral Oil and let sit
over night. Then I wipe off the excess. I apply to both sides, and let sit on two dowels to aid in air circulation. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I had a decision to make. I live in MA. The Colt Official Police .38 is not MA compliant, so you cannot bring them into MA. The ones that are here are grandfathered, but they're very rare. I called several places - no one has them and they all told me how rare they are in MA. I located one about 5 miles from my house. The grips fit and the gun is now mine. The serial number shows it was made in 1949. Good shape, definitely a shooter. I traded a Beretta .22LR semi auto for most of it.
Thanks for the info and offers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.