Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ivory a frequent forum topic maybe my Ivory show & tell of interest. Most of the grips are from when I was working in Africa Belgian Congo in 1951, had local ivory carvers copy original Colt & S&W grips. Decor on all is DIY. Tusk ends I probably bought at London street market Porobello Road in 1950-60s. Hackberry wood is a chair arm I made from when a tree I played under as a kid died & we cut down & I've made grips from.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
nice but i think u just about told how old u are. Sounds like a great story. I got to know what u were doing in the Congo in 1951 unless u telling me would then mean U would have to kill me. Love the ivory

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice but i think u just about told how old u are. Sounds like a great story. I got to know what u were doing in the Congo in 1951 unless u telling me would then mean U would have to kill me. Love the ivory
Thanks! Read my profile, I was an airplane mechanic at the time for Pan Am Air-, now I'm approaching 90 in January '14.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Robert has seen a lot of changes in this world. I find that amazing.
In 1951 when he was working for Pan Am out of Idlewild Airport in Queens Borough on Long Island where I grew up, I hadn't come along for another year - and I'm no kid anymore!

Respect your elders!!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hi Bob;

I don't think that would be a place I would have liked to have been in 1951. Wasn't it King Leopold that was responsible for the murder of some 7 million people?

A very bad few years, and I wonder if even today there's any real stability there.

Bud

Thanks! Read my profile, I was an airplane mechanic at the time for Pan Am Air-, now I'm approaching 90 in January '14.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Bob, you never fail to amaze and impress me with your talent. Magnificent craftsmanship and truly works of art. I love the look of Ivory on handguns and knives as they just bring out the balance of the piece. Thank you, and you also Chaffee, for sharing some wonderful examples.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Love the post as always Bob.

Robert has seen a lot of changes in this world. I find that amazing.
In 1951 when he was working for Pan Am out of Idlewild Airport in Queens Borough on Long Island where I grew up, I hadn't come along for another year - and I'm no kid anymore!

Respect your elders!!! :)
My Dad was born in 1950. A LOT has happened in the world since then...

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Matchlock - I don't think that would be a place I would have liked to have been in 1951. Wasn't it King Leopold that was responsible for the murder of some 7 million people?

You've got me started on Africa. Belgian Congo was once the only country owned by a single person, King Leopold, but that was long before my time. I was in Leopoldville a year in '46-47 and again with new wife several months '51. I've been over a lot of Africa from '46 to '74. Other than South Africa, in the '40s-'50s Leopoldville was the most civilized and a very nice place to be compared to French West Africa, Liberia, Gold Coast & Nigeria. Leopoldville had paved streets, all modern conveniences, stores, hotels, restaurants - all in a town of about 9,000 whites & 10X as many blacks, segregated white/black town. None of the others mentioned had anything to compare in terms of live-ability. British colonies were segregated, French not. Belgians trained natives to do whatever work needed but 'educated' none. Other colonies natives could be sent to UK or Europe for education. Over time the 'education' seemed to pay off, in that those countries did a lot better of governing when colonialism vanished in the '60s. Back numerous times up till '74, interesting to see and experience some of the changes. This could go on for pages but it's for another time & place -- like in my memoir.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I believe that aside from the SA's pictured earlier, this is my only other Ivory handled pistol. S&W 1st Mod American. Don't have a picture of it alone, so here it is with various other sixguns from the latter 1800's. I guess I don't have to point out which one it is :).

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to express appreciation for comments and the Show& Tell contributions. Ivory & engraving seems to bring out the best in efforts of the best artists and motivate the lesser such as I. Envious as I am, will never have the DIY skills of the better professional engravers nor possess one of their pieces.

Lacking the resources for a high art piece I had to rely on DIY, of which 3 early pieces below.

Earliest, ca. 1975, result of studying Meek's book from Brownells on gun engraving, my first serious effort.

Next two early '80s.

Before & after.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts