Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How about pictures of your SAA ivory? Kinda like pinto beens..."just can't live without 'um" legal, preban, old ivory.

Makes me wonder has the oldest pair we can document via Colt factory letter?

I'll start with two of my favorites. The checkered Eagle has a Texas Star on the off side.

This pair I had made up 30 years old. The checkered pair above I picked up 2nd hand 12 years ago. Both were cut from pre-ban, legal ivory.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Typical of most of my collection is my DIY SAA project --

The Ivory itself is sorta DIY, in that when I was working in Africa in 1951 I had a local ivory carver copy several Colt & S&W grips, a mm oversize to allow me to fit them, which I did in this case 30 years later. I bought the .38-40 SAA for $300 the day I drove out of NY when I retired in 1980. Once settled in OK I did my own décor, engraving, the grips, the silver & nickel plating.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
These are on a 14,000 range saa shipped in 1876. The stocks are unlisted on the factory letter but they fit the gun like they grew on it. Shipped to Kittredge so the dealer might have installed them.

2.jpg 6.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
1881 Quigley CB engraved SAA
1890 Bledsoe CB engraved SAA
1902 Bisley
1925 Hopi engraved SAA
1961 Sears style engraved SAA

All old pre ban Ivory

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow, there are some beautiful pieces in this thread. That Winchester rifle is amazing.

I'm almost embarrassed to add my SAA from the Colt Custom shop. It's not very old, I think it was made in the 90's.

Anyway, here it is. Very plain looking but, I like it. First picture is the SAA with a custom knife that I had a friend make. The handle isn't ivory. It's made from an Alaskan Dall Sheep's horn. Notice that the knife has a bottle-opener built into it. My friend knew me well. ;-)

SAA and Knife.jpg IMG_0568.jpg

1 - 20 of 229 Posts