Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did/does anyone make a hammer shroud for the M-36 or M-60? I can’t bring myself to bob the hammer of my 60.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Never seen one, but I 'have' seen a lot of bobbed hammers.

Before you go that route, be sure you have a spare hammer so it can be returned to stock - very few folks will buy one that's been modified.

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
I've never seen or heard of one, either. Since S&W offered the concealed hammer models they must have felt there was no need to provide an add-on shroud.

The easy solution...buy a Colt snubby with a shroud! :cool:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Waller and Sons was the company that made aftermarket attachable hammer shrouds for D frame Colts and J frame S&W snubs. This is aside from the original Colt version.
They are out of business. It appears that snubtraining.com. bought out the Waller inventory. The item you're looking for may still be available from them.
It appears that this is an active website. So maybe you want to try calling them and see what's up:

Recommended Parts and Accessories ? snubtraining.com

From the website:

"HAMMER SHROUDS

Recently, SnubTraining.com received a large supply of Waller and Son produced hammer shrouds for the Smith and Wesson J-frame, Colt D-frame, Ruger SP-101 and a few small frame Taurus and Rossi models. Those interested in purchasing a hammer shroud can contact us at [email protected]"

At the very bottom of the webpage there is an address and phone number in Acton, MA.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Sorry to hear Mike...

I hit it probably 3 times...real slow like...and it didn't work.

Then I just close my link to the website and reopened it...then came to this post to try again.

Been having problems since the turnover a few months back...

Got to refresh the page just to see what I just posted here.

And I've reported it too...WTH !?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I carried a early model 60 for many years with a bobbed hammer. First I bought a model 36 hammer and had that bobbed and saved the stainless one. Had it done by a good gunsmith I knew. He checked the top to where I could also carefully cock to shoot single action. That gun was stolen along with my truck in 2003 and neither has shown up. I replaced it with a 3" model 36. I bought that one used but it was still NIB. Oddly, about six months ago wife and I were in a restaurant. I had it in a pancake holster under a untucked shirt. I felt something sharp jabbing me on the love handle, went to the rest room and found the hammer spur had somehow cracked off leaving a sharp edge. I haven't been able to find a suitable new OE one. Did check Jack First but didnt like the honky looking overpriced one in their catalog. I decided to bob it like my old model 60. I had already sold the old model 60 original hammer. I bought a dremmel, some cold blueing, and the job turned out well and looks pretty good. I have always shot single action except for shooting DA to requalify yearly for many years on my old guard job and never was a good DA shooter. If you bob the hammer I would try to do it where you can still cautiously shoot SA. It does work out well for me. Actually, I probably shot that old model 60 more than most my other guns put together because I always had it with me. I would go out to test other guns and always finish up with shooting a few rounds with that old model 60. I miss it. I did have to pull it once, and was glad to have it on me in another touchy event.
I also have a s&w model 40 I carry a lot. It`s really the same gun as a model 60 but blue and no SA option. I cant explain why, but I just aint as attached to it like I was to my stolen model 60. I carried that old model 60 for over 30 years!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
There were rubber grips from Bianchi (I think) that had a hammer shroud built in. Probably not made anymore, but prowl the junk boxes at good gun shows and older gun shops and on eBay. You might get lucky.

Buck

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
591 Posts
Try placing the pad of your thumb on the tip of the hammer spur when drawing from under a cover garment. That will keep the hammer hook from grabbing the cloth. It forces your hand into a bladed shape that works for a pocket draw also. Another option is to replace the hammer with one from a model 38/49 Bodyguard. They are triangular shaped and don't have the fabric catching hook on the end. If you need to smooth out the diamonds perhaps a piece of duct tape could be shaped and applied to the top or maybe layers of paint might be built up. From time to time I see bobbed J-frame hammers on eBay for sale.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Though it sounds like a practical measure, the usefulness in bobbing a hammer is of dubious worth. I think many who have never carried a snub-nose revolver on a daily basis for years are unaware of this. I carried a Chief .38 Special for a long time and don't recall the perceived problem ever occurring. Granted, it's possible, but so are many other things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts