Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 12 ga hammerless single barrel arrived today. It has a 28” full choke bbl.
Apparently, this was Stevens’ effort at making a higher grade shotgun. It has all the “bells and whistles” that you can imagine and then some. You can make the ejector into an extractor by a screw adjustment!

I like the safety on the tang too.

Best,
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
My great uncle had one. His best friend gave it to him when he was 16 yrs old during WWI. His best friend was in the US Army during WWI and was shipping out to France. His friend asked him to keep it for him till he returned home and if he did not make it back home to keep it. His friend never made it back home from France. My great uncle said his friend was listed as MIA. My great uncle said it was a rare shotgun and he had many offers to buy it over the years. He also said he shot many deer with it over the years. He kept it till he died in the 1970s always hoping his friend would somehow return.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Stevens made some nice guns but the Stevens brand was eventually delegated to cheaper grade .22 rifles and lower grade shotguns by Savage.
The Stevens over and under .22/410 was essentially the first military survival rifle.
The Stevens 520 pump shotgun is another well made piece of equipment designed by Browning.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Nice shotgun. They made a lot of models, but I think if it is marked with the "Electro Steel" stamp, it's from 1901-1916. This page may help Shotgunworld.com • U.S. Single Barrel Shotgun Identification
I think Stevens was one of the top gun makers prior to WWI. The quality of their 44 and 44 1/2 target rifles is outstanding. I bought a Stevens 520 12ga last year, that is also very nice, a pump design by Browning.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There is Stevens model 180 in 20 ga. listed on Gunbroker item # 875976070. It is missing butt stock and front bead. Not mine and I am not connected to auction. Lots of photos. Nice photo of action w/o butt stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts