Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Cobra is from 1968 as best I can tell (2649xx LW), a little late, but it's close enough that I'm calling it my Jack Ruby gun. I bought it from the son of the original owner. I thought it odd he would sell his dad's carry gun but he had zero interest in keeping a .38 special because years ago, his sister's husband murdered her with a .38 and, however irrational, he wants nothing to do with a .38 special.

This Cobra is like new. Has a bit of tip of the barrel wear from years in a Buchheimer Marshall holster and a bit of wear on the frame corners. I offered $500 and he was happy. From his reaction to my offer I suspect that he had shopped it around and my offer was best. I didn't realize it was the same configuration as Ruby's gun until I did some research on this forum after I'd already bought the gun. I was happy before but am happier armed with the knowledge I found by searching this fine forum. Dave

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Very nice and seems to be in very fine shape, especially impressed with the grips.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Not to nit pick but the ruby gun would have had the full grip frame (pre-66 D frame). Did the ruby gun have a hammer shroud? While it would have better for the nation to have his day in court for the 2 murders, the 38 cobra did a one shot kill. Your gun is in really good shape for being carried in a holster.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Ruby's Cobra was a 1951 example with a full grip frame, a hammer shroud, the 3rd post war pattern ejector rod, and late Coltwood matte dark brown grips.
If I were more familiar with my sister's Apple computer, I'd open another tab and find you a link to some articles about it, but I'm out of town and I don't have a lap top.
anyway, you got a nice Cobra there no matter what year it is;)

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Ruby's Cobra was a 1951 example with a full grip frame, a hammer shroud, the 3rd post war pattern ejector rod, and late Coltwood matte dark brown grips.
If I were more familiar with my sister's Apple computer, I'd open another tab and find you a link to some articles about it, but I'm out of town and I don't have a lap top.
anyway, you got a nice Cobra there no matter what year it is;)
Here's a good one :)

http://guernseys.com/auctions/pugliese/prohibitedlots.pdf

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Dave
For having been carried in a holster for years, it sure doesn't show much wear in the pictures.
Congratulations, that's a pretty gun.
Thanks for sharing.
Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts