Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to shoot jacketed bulllets in a black powder frame (pre 1905 or so) SAA as long as you are using black powder. I idea is to
avoid leading issues. Thinking perhaps FMJs. Thnx. Mark in AZ

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is it ok to shoot jacketed bulllets in a black powder frame (pre 1905 or so) SAA as long as you are using black powder. I idea is to
avoid leading issues. Thinking perhaps FMJs. Thnx. Mark in AZ
How about cast lead powder coated bullets? I haven't tried them with black powder in a handgun yet but they work fine in my 45-70 Highwall rifle with black or smokeless powder.
They eliminated the leading problems I was having with regular cast lead bullets in its 30" barrel and made cleaning after a session at the range much easier and quicker.
They're about all I reload and shoot anymore even in my revolvers and pistols and they usually cost a lot less than jacketed bullets.
I haven't noticed any differences in accuracy with them though they do group differently than jacketed bullets of the same weight and they don't seem as consistent in size as jacketed bullets so I always run them through a sizing die as part of my reloading process.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'll second Dr. Tramp's suggestion of coated bullets. I've shot a lot of BP handgun rounds with High Tech coated bullets; I just use a 1/16" - 1/18" bees wax wad over the powder to keep the BP residue soft. When I load BP 45-70, I load powder, card stock wad, bees wax wad, then another card stock wad, then High Teck coated bullet.

I've had great luck with Bayou Bullets, good quality and excellent customer service.

Best regards,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts