Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend at work who is an avid gun enthusiast. During one of our many conversations about guns, I mentioned my Colt M1903 Pocket Hammer, and how difficult (and expensive) it is to find ammo, or brass. He recently inherited a bunch of stuff from his Dad, including a couple of big buckets of brass. Remembering my M1903, he told me he was sure there was some .38 ACP in the mix, and when he got a chance to sort it out, I was welcome to any .38 ACP he might find. I was certainly glad to hear it, and figured I might luck out and get a handful of brass for reloading.

Well, over the holidays he did get a chance to sort out the brass, and this morning he came in to work with the .38 ACP he'd culled from the batch!

Roughly 300 once-fired original R-P and W-W .38 ACP cases! Time for me to get busy reloading!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Was there a reason you didn't want to use the more common .38 Super brass for reloading, or do you just like the historical aspect?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was there a reason you didn't want to use the more common .38 Super brass for reloading, or do you just like the historical aspect?
Good question! Actually, I have two reasons - both probably pretty silly, but whaddaheck...

First is, as you mentioned, the "historical aspect". I just feel like I oughtta be loading my M1903 with "real" .38 ACP ammo rather than watered-down .38 Super. I know - doesn't really make much sense, as the .38 ACP IS just a watered-down .38 Super - or more correctly, the Super is just a .38 ACP on steroids! :rolleyes:

My second reason is a more practical consideration. While I don't currently own a .38 Super, I can't rule out getting one at some point, and I do occasionally shoot with a couple of guys who own them. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to guns, and ammo, and reloading, but I'm only human and do suffer the occasional brain fart. I REALLY don't want to risk accidentally loading my M1903 with a .38 Super+P cartridge! The chances of this are extremely slim, but I figure that if I NEVER load a case headstamped ".38 Super" into my pistol, that's just one screw-up I won't have to worry about making!

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
See if any 'Balloon Head' Cases are in those.

All the early ones would have been pre 'Solid Head' cases.

Anyway, great find there!

Woo Hoo!

I too am soon to be loading up some .38 ACP!

Just got a 100 Cases here in our own Classifieds.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
When I first loaded up some 38 Automatic I used brass Winchester .38 Super cases but these were intended for a Star 9mm Largo/38 and an Astra 400 9mm Largo. The 9mm Largo is a heavier loads then the "standard" .38 ACP, somwhere between the .38 Automatic and .38 Super Automatic. Now I wouldn't make it a habit of shooting .38 Supers out of the Star a magazine of them isn't going to destroy it.

Loading for the 1903 Pocket Hammer I bought some Graf brass .38 Auto headstamped and I shot enough factory to give me enough cases to make a couple of different loads.

We have several .38 Super pistols and I have a tendency to load the Super up around what the factory loads are, I see no reason to hotrod the round, although some loads are past what the average loadings are and some outdated loads shouldn't even be attempted.

So I am inclined to agree with using 38 Auto brass for .38 Auto loads and the 38 Super brass for the .38 Super. One option would be to use nickel plated cases for the Super and brass cases for the Auto.

Good score on that brass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts