Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are pictures of a recent acquisition. I have seen about 6-7 Japanese Type 2 Paratrooper takedown rifles, but this one is the best, by far. It totally matches even down to the dust cover for the bolt. I once saw one of these, equipped with a scope, on an old episode of Mission Impossible.

DSCN3330.jpg DSCN3331.jpg DSCN3333.jpg DSCN3332.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Most Excellent..Good Job in adding this to your pile.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One internet source indicates about 22,000 of these rifles were built by Japan starting in 1942. If they were numbered sequently, this one would have been about 1/3 of the way through production making it about mid-to-late 1943 (guesstimate).

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The intact mum indicates that it was probably a battlefield capture. When they had a chance the Japanese would deface it because it represented the emperor.
According to Honeycutts book the highest serial number observed is 21223. Production began in late 1943.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Terry: Two books that are handy for these are: 'Military Rifles of Japan' by Honeycutt and Anthony and 'Japanese Rifles of WW2' by McCollum. I use to be into WW2 rifles and still have 5 or 6 from Japan, Yours was made by the Nagoya Arsenal. Production of the type 2 began in late 1943.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The intact mum indicates that it was probably a battlefield capture. When they had a chance the Japanese would deface it because it represented the emperor.
According to Honeycutts book the highest serial number observed is 21223. Production began in late 1943.

Bearcat and Chaffee, I had looked at a website that said production of the Type 2 was started in 1942. I am certain the sources that you two have cited are correct (1943). Thanks for that input. I wonder when the production terminated or if it was still going on as the war ended.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob, Thanks for that outstanding reference. I would have never noticed that small character on the left of the SN on my Type 38 carbine without your input. The absence of such a character to the left of the serial number on the Type 2 Paratrooper Rifle is in agreement with bearcat6's comment.
Not enough of the Type 2's were built to require a prefix.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This Type 2 rifle did come with a bayonet, scabbard and frog that had supposedly been with the rifle since capture. I am not aware of any way to prove that from markings on the bayonet. Any help on this??

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
This Type 2 rifle did come with a bayonet, scabbard and frog that had supposedly been with the rifle since capture. I am not aware of any way to prove that from markings on the bayonet. Any help on this??
Could you show photos of the bayonet? According to Honeycutt's book, paratroop rifles had a special short bayonet. Also, even though bayonets were numbered, these weren't matched to rifles.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could you show photos of the bayonet? According to Honeycutt's book, paratroop rifles had a special short bayonet. Also, even though bayonets were numbered, these weren't matched to rifles.
Chaffee, I will take photos of the bayonet, scabbard and frog when it is daylight again. It is not the short bayonet. It looks like a standard Japanese bayonet to me. It does have the same Nagoya Arsenal marking on it as the rifle. I wish it was a short bayonet!! I see one of those for sale on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To my understanding Gen. McArthur had the mum ground off "trophy" guns after war was ended. Battle field captures escaped this. Intact mums bring a premium.

Lee Jones(Celtgu​n)

Lee, I have heard the same story. I never could imagine a Japanese soldier who was about to be captured having a file in his belongings to mutilate the Mum.

·
Administrator
7,294 Posts
Here are pictures of a recent acquisition. I have seen about 6-7 Japanese Type 2 Paratrooper takedown rifles, but this one is the best, by far. It totally matches even down to the dust cover for the bolt. I once saw one of these, equipped with a scope, on an old episode of Mission Impossible.
Don't forget Raymond Shaw (Lawrence Harvey) in The Manchurian Candidate used one in the movie's climax .

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Terry: Two books that are handy for these are: 'Military Rifles of Japan' by Honeycutt and Anthony and 'Japanese Rifles of WW2' by McCollum. I use to be into WW2 rifles and still have 5 or 6 from Japan, Yours was made by the Nagoya Arsenal. Production of the type 2 began in late 1943.
Years ago I was into Axis Military weapons and still have a lot of them. I also have the Book "Military Rifles of Japan" by Honeycutt and it is great!

I had one of the Paratrooper Rifles myself and about 20 years ago I sold it since the guy that bought it wanted so bad, he paid me more that it's value. I still regret selling it, but it did fund more German weapons, LOL! Mine was also all matching with a unground Mum.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts