Thank u my dear friend for sharing them with us all
God Bless,John
Happy Easter Weekend too

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Nice grips, but won’t bring the price of stags. Also Bisley grips are harder to sell. Note that someone looking for period type grips, while bone would be a good choice, the Colt emblems would pause them from buying these. Bone was not popular during the period of Bisley production, except for the TexMex areas. In my experience, Bisley grips can be harder to match to a gun then those for a SAA. If you find someone who likes them a lot and has a gun they fit, maybe the $300. More likely, $150.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are beauties
300 would be a fair price for sure
They so need to be installed on a beautiful Bisley
Thank u my dear friend for sharing them with us all
God Bless,John
Happy Easter Weekend too

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
I think they would look good on my old ugly Bisley too :)

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice grips, but won’t bring the price of stags. Also Bisley grips are harder to sell. Note that someone looking for period type grips, while bone would be a good choice, the Colt emblems would pause them from buying these. Bone was not popular during the period of Bisley production, except for the TexMex areas. In my experience, Bisley grips can be harder to match to a gun then those for a SAA. If you find someone who likes them a lot and has a gun they fit, maybe the $300. More likely, $150.
$150.00 would be about right if not for that darned Marshal Dillon!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Stag and bone grips were very rarely used before the B Westerns of the 30s made them popular. Stag and bone were considered "dirty" materials, not something you would want to hold on to. If you wanted something other than the factory grips, pearl and ivory were the choice. Tea will turn bone yellow easily if you want the aged yellow look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow up: I saw knife scales referred to as elk bone, but I’ve only heard of elk antler used, not bone. Scales were smooth. Would that be bone or antler that had smoothed?

JGW

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up: I saw knife scales referred to as elk bone, but I’ve only heard of elk antler used, not bone. Scales were smooth. Would that be bone or antler that had smoothed?

JGW
Bone.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Giraffe bone is popular at this time. I have a number of buffalo bone grips. Cow bones were probably used where the resources were limited (read TexMex). Some bone needs to be stabilized. Mastodon bone is expensive and became a popular replacement for mastodon ivory that became harder to get. Mastodon bone often gets passed off as mastodon ivory. Not really bone at any rate, long since mineralized. I have heard claims of human bone being used in WWII, but I have never seen any proof. As a note, bone grips were commonly used on European and American swords dating to the 18th century and earlier.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
US naval officers sword, 1810 - 1820. The grips are checkered bone.

3E003B87-28B0-4F6F-A578-943655F777DC.jpeg

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ruster,
That is the nicest looking set of "dirty" grips I ever seen .(y) That is a bragging set to my eyes .

Eddie

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Ruster,
That is the nicest looking set of "dirty" grips I ever seen .(y) That is a bragging set to my eyes .

Eddie
Ruster,

Eddie
Ruster,

Eddie
To help settle a friendly debate.....are these stag grips ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts