Colt Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
To help settle a friendly debate.....are these stag grips ?

Look almost too nice to be bone but I can't see the backs so I'm going with what the man that owns them thinks they are , They are the best looking jigging I have seen if that's what they are and could pass as stag even if that's not what they are .

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Look almost too nice to be bone but I can't see the backs so I'm going with what the man that owns them thinks they are , They are the best looking jigging I have seen if that's what they are and could pass as stag even if that's not what they are .
They are not my grips so you can freely give your opinion of the material without any hurt feelings. There is a picture of the back of them.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
571 Posts
They are not my grips so you can freely give your opinion of the material without any hurt feelings. There is a picture of the back of them.
Was referring to Ruster's grips in the other post. The Bisley grips are no doubt Jigged Bone . Both sets are nice as are the others shown but Ruster's set are so well done that they almost look like Stag . Sambar is rather smooth on the cut side with very few pits , Elk and other stag that I have show more of the tiny holes and are just a bit more rough looking even when well polished . Bone looks even more pitted and is rougher looking than any stag when finished , speaking of cow bone not Giraffe which I have not handled much of.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Was referring to Ruster's grips in the other post. The Bisley grips are no doubt Jigged Bone . Both sets are nice as are the others shown but Ruster's set are so well done that they almost look like Stag . Sambar is rather smooth on the cut side with very few pits , Elk and other stag that I have show more of the tiny holes and are just a bit more rough looking even when well polished . Bone looks even more pitted and is rougher looking than any stag when finished , speaking of cow bone not Giraffe which I have not handled much of.

Eddie
sorry, I thought you were referring to the Bisley grips that I posted. You are correct about them being bone. I knew that when I posted the pictures. So, for those that want to know how to tell the difference between bone and stag , the underside or roughcut will tell the tale. Bone is fed by blood vessels that actually run through the bone . You will see small holes and tracks where the vessels run. Also note the dark spots on the back. Look at the picture of the bottom edge of the grips and you will see a hole in the right grip. Also , bone has a rougher texture than stag. Stag has what are basically growth lines similar to those found in ivory. It's easy to see that the jigging on these grips was done by a rotary tool too. You can see dark spots where the tool actually burned the bone. Also, you can see the exact pattern left by the rotary tool disc throughout the grips. Stag has an overall smoother texture too. I have always loved the look of well done jigged bone . These were very well done, probably 30-50 years ago. The medallions were added later in my opinion . I would probably replace them with an older pair of medallions.
Bill, those grips are remarkable! The right facing pony medallion is hard to find too. Nice touch!

Reactions: Southgate

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So..a fair price for the Bisley bone grips? $300.00 or.. ? Me and the seller are still in "negotiations".

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
So..a fair price for the Bisley bone grips? $300.00 or.. ? Me and the seller are still in "negotiations".
200 to 250 would be great price
But 300 as things are is probably the going rate
I can not wait to see those on your gun
Hey I have been wanting to ask
Do you have a shot with both a SAA and a bisley in it?
How much bigger are the Bisley grips over SAA grips
If I owned a Bisley
They are the grips to have
God Bless,John
Would put a set of those deep dish medallions in them

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
If you have a gun in mind to put them on, try them on first. Bisley grip straps vary widely. I think $300 is fair, it is difficult to find nice Bisley grips. But they have to fit perfectly, or be oversize enough to be fitted, or they do not compliment the gun. Ill fitting grips are an eyesore.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you have a gun in mind to put them on, try them on first. Bisley grip straps vary widely. I think $300 is fair, it is difficult to find nice Bisley grips. But they have to fit perfectly, or be oversize enough to be fitted, or they do not compliment the gun. Ill fitting grips are an eyesore.
I tried them on. The right grip fits perfectly but the left grip will require moving the dowel hole. No big deal there. They do look good on my Biz.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Look almost too nice to be bone but I can't see the backs so I'm going with what the man that owns them thinks they are. They are the best looking jigging I have seen if that's what they are and could pass as stag even if that's not what they are .
Here are some additional photos of my vintage jigged bone grips, shown earlier on my 1st Generation Colt SAA. An examination of the back of the grips clearly show they are made of bone.

Rusty Edwards

Front.jpg

Reverse.jpg

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
This image shows one of my Colt SAA revolvers with a pair of older stag grips from my collection. They are much harder, stronger, and heavier than bone. If given the choice, I'd take stag grips over ones gigged from much softer animal bones.

Rusty Edwards

Stag Grips.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Stag doesn't have the porosity of bone. Thats why its heavier and more robust. I do love the look of those SAA jigged bone grips though!

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, I finally got the grip this morning and have to say, I am extremely pleased with them. Very little fitting was necessary.
Hope yall like 'em !

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
well those are perfect
you have very well my dear friend
thank u for sharing them with us
God Bless,John

Reactions: hearsedriver

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Well Done! Twice lucky - price and fit. Bisley grips are some of the most difficult to fit in my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well Done! Twice lucky - price and fit. Bisley grips are some of the most difficult to fit in my experience.
Thanks! I had to pay up for them but, I wanted them so...who cares ;) I know for a fact, you can't take it with you.

·
Registered
571 Posts
These pictures are better than the first picture . The color of the grips is much nicer than they looked in the first one.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts