Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posted for Jim. Here's what Jim wrote, "I'll let him explain it. The "fender" has been cut off the back of the holster long ago and Jim said itwas worn like I paddle holster (isn't that what they're called?) with that part stuck over the waist band.
Here's what Jim wrote me about it, "Here's the old colt,it was carried as a duty weapon,the top inside right grip panel is signed 'Geo m. Foster chief [unreadable] off,I Det of Marion [ either IA or LA] I can't read it any better,then down the back it says "this is my [unreadable] gun.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
It’s nice to see Jim’s Colt SAA, along with original holster !
This is my latest addition to my collection,it's so unusual w/the antique holster I thought other people would like to see it,the inside of the right grip panel has been inscribed by the original owner that carried it as his duty weapon & it has a colt letter w/it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
What size is the hole in the end of that barrel ? Mighty important detail to be leaving out . Mighty fine looking piece of equipment .

Sorry about that it's a .45 & if you'll notice the holster is marked 45 too.It's the tightest old colt I've come across in a long time,no play anywhere.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Here's what Jim wrote me about it, "Here's the old colt,it was carried as a duty weapon,the top inside right grip panel is signed 'Geo m. Foster chief [unreadable] off,I Det of Marion [ either IA or LA] I can't read it any better,then down the back it says "this is my [unreadable] gun.
I checked the U.S. Census records for 1910 and 1920 and could not find a George M. Foster who was a LEO in Marion, IA or LA and not in any other U.S. town named Marion. I found several George M. Fosters including one in Marion, IN at the right time but he worked for a furniture manufacturer. Maybe Jim's George Foster was a part-time LEO. Any chance of showing a close up photo of the info on the inside of the grip panel? I would be glad to look further to see if the mystery man can be identified.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It is neat how the three action screws are nearly identical in their regulation or orientation to each other.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm really curious about the owner of this old gun too,I'll see if I can get my neighbor to take a clear picture of the grip panel,then get Matt to post it.It might take awhile but I'll do it asap.This is one of the times I wish I understood more about this"evil machine"

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’d like to solve the puzzle, Pat.

“This is my special gun.”

Just my guess looking at the pic on my iPhone with 51 years old eyes that are desperate for glasses.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Geo (George) or Leo M Foster
Chief Detective of
J Det (Detachment perhaps)
Madison
Ind (Indiana)

Maybe not it at all but, my tired traveling eyes see something similar to that....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts