Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eight years ago, an old friend brought me this badge to a TGCA gun show. He was raised in south Texas, and some of his ancestors had been law officers there. After the sale, he sent me a notarized letter that explained its provenance.

Does anyone know of the existence of John Buckley's Colt SAA or other guns?

Last night, I found this youtube comment by John Buckley's grandson, William F. Buckley. I suspect that most of you will find his statement to be both accurate and funny!

Attachments

Premium Member
Eight years ago, an old friend brought me this badge to a TGCA gun show. He was raised in south Texas, and some of his ancestors had been law officers there. After the sale, he sent me a notarized letter that explained its provenance.

Last night, I found this youtube comment by John Buckley's grandson, William F. Buckley. I suspect that most of you will find his statement to be both accurate and funny!

Accurate as H3LL and funny too. Thanks for the link. Love the badge as well. Thanks for sharing. 馃憤馃憤

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accurate as H3LL and funny too. Thanks for the link. Love the badge as well. Thanks for sharing. 馃憤馃憤
Terry, there is another interesting thing about this badge, dated 1890. John Buckley ran for sheriff in 1888, but both political parties claimed election fraud. One even claimed that Mexican revolutionary, Catarina Garza, had brought votes from Mexico. The election finally went to the Texas Supreme Court, where it was ruled that John Buckley had won in 1890.

Some things seem to never change!

Premium Member
Terry, there is another interesting thing about this badge, dated 1890. John Buckley ran for sheriff in 1888, but both political parties claimed election fraud. One even claimed that Mexican revolutionary, Catarina Garza, had brought votes from Mexico. The election finally went to the Texas Supreme Court, where it was ruled that John Buckley had won in 1890.

Some things seem to never change!
Yep, that sounds very familiar 馃槀馃槀. Thanks for the history lesson. Very intriguing. I will devote some time to further reading on this. Much appreciated.

Reactions: victorio1sw

Registered

Fascinating. Being a student of the old west, & having lived in Sur Tejas por Diez y seite anos, I added much to my knowledge & happened on by accident, onto guns owned by the Sheriff of Frio county who first lived in Frio town & later Pearsall TX when the residents of Frio town up & moved their town to present day Pearsall. I lived in Pearsall, home of George Strait. I collect old badges, among way too many other things & some I wore myself. If you have any for sale or trade keep me in mind
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design

This was a wild & wooly place

Motor vehicle Font Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part

One of the 1st I P/U'd many years ago

Brown Motor vehicle Automotive tire Badge Font

This badge was made for me by the the fellow who made the TX. Rangers badges out of the Mexican Cinco Peso silver coin & on the reverse side you can see parts of the coin. Fashioned after the Ranger badge

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lyndon Johnson has Duval County, Texas and specifically Ballot Box 13 to thank for his much extended political career past 1948.
Oh yes, this 1880's-90's event began to set the stage for many more political events to come! In the lower picture, I knew all of these guys. Goldthorn and Salas not shown. You see, I grew up in Alice, Texas.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes, this 1880's-90's event began to set the stage for many more political events to come! In the lower picture, I knew all of these guys. Goldthorn and Salas not shown. You see, I grew up in Alice, Texas.
I have shown this here before, but here is Stokes Micenheimer's pistol. He gave it to me about 1970. A S&W letter noted that it was originally shipped to Geo. Potchernick (A Gun & Sporting Goods Store) in San Antonio, Tx on 9-6-1935. San Antonio is 125 miles north of Alice.

Attachments

Registered
My Dad had family in Robstown, Alice and Sinton. My Grandmother always swore I was the the spitting image of her uncle who supposed was a sheriff in Robstown. I can't recall his name for the love or money right now. The story goes that he never carried a handgun but always had a cut-down 8ga in hand.
If I remember right, LBJ won his Senate seat by 85 votes, all found in Box 13 "discovered" in the middle of the night after the polls closed.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Dad had family in Robstown, Alice and Sinton. My Grandmother always swore I was the the spitting image of her uncle who supposed was a sheriff in Robstown. I can't recall his name for the love or money right now. The story goes that he never carried a handgun but always had a cut-down 8ga in hand.
If I remember right, LBJ won his Senate seat by 85 votes, all found in Box 13 "discovered" in the middle of the night after the polls closed.
Yes, it was around 85 votes that LBJ needed to win in 1948.

None other than ex-Ranger Frank Hamer was sent to Alice to investigate this voter fraud (he and one Fed agent). Box 13 was inside the bank there. As he approached the bank, 5 heavily armed men stood in the way. Hamer let them get a real good look at him, and then the 5 men parted. Inside the bank was again 5 armed men, but the same sequence played out. I can just imagine those men looking at each other and whispering "Geez, that is the man that killed Bonnie & Clyde"!

Hamer found that Box 13 contained votes from people buried in the San Diego, TX cemetery. San Diego is 10 miles west of Alice. And that is why William Buckley says his grandfather was "such a loyal Dem" that he voted 44 years after he died!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Luis Salas confesses. George Parr killed himself April 1975 (allegedly). So Salas is free to talk. His version of where the 200 votes came from differs from prevalent Alice area rumors. But we see that Salas had a previous crime record too!

Attachments

Registered
We had a special needs gentleman in Three Rivers as I was growing up named Cotton. His mother taught school in Cotulla and became pregnant out of wedlock with Cotton. He ended up in Three Rivers with his uncle. LBJ taught school there at that time. Rumor was he was LBJ鈥檚 son. I believe it as fact because Cotton was a spitting image.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We had a special needs gentleman in Three Rivers as I was growing up named Cotton. His mother taught school in Cotulla and became pregnant out of wedlock with Cotton. He ended up in Three Rivers with his uncle. LBJ taught school there at that time. Rumor was he was LBJ鈥檚 son. I believe it as fact because Cotton was a spitting image.
"Cotton". Is that a code name for an illegitimate child? I am reminded of a similar Cotton in the TV series "The Hatfield's and McCoys".

Registered
"Cotton". Is that a code name for an illegitimate child? I am reminded of a similar Cotton in the TV series "The Hatfield's and McCoys".
Cotton is a occasional nickname used in TX
Remember seeing photo of 3 rivers w/ a big gator ambling down the road. A lot of people don't relate TX w gators but were quite common. Would see them sunning them self on the banks of the Frio river and when we drove onto ranches and sometimes near a tanque you would see a dead gator because they would submerge in a tanque (pond) and when a calf came to drink, the gator would drag them under and ranchers didn't put up w/ that even when gators were a protected species in the 70s but as long as the shooter practiced the 3 S's (shoot, shovel ,& shut up) you were OK. about the late 70's they rescinded the protected species for gators. I often wondered when illegal aliens would swim the Nueces & Frio rivers to avoid the Border Patrol, how many didn't make it to the other shore?

Registered
My Dad grew up in San Antonio and he talked about swimming in the San Antonio River...always leaving one guy on the bank looking for gators.
I have a vague memory of the enclosed gator pit at the Witte Museum. Dad said every now and then someone would spot a body that was tossed in the pit...for some reason. I think the enclosure is still there but no gators.

I seem to remember reading that all of the ballots in Box 13 were in the same handwriting with the same color pen.

Registered
My Dad grew up in San Antonio and he talked about swimming in the San Antonio River...always leaving one guy on the bank looking for gators.
I have a vague memory of the enclosed gator pit at the Witte Museum. Dad said every now and then someone would spot a body that was tossed in the pit...for some reason. I think the enclosure is still there but no gators.

I seem to remember reading that all of the ballots in Box 13 were in the same handwriting with the same color pen.
And in alphabetical order.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Well, the notorious Box 13 disappeared after the 1948 incident, and no one seems to know where it went.

Registered
Well, the notorious Box 13 disappeared after the 1948 incident, and no one seems to know where it went.
Maybe in the Witte Museum Alligator Pit?
(Just trying to tie everything together 馃榿)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts