Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be out and about at the LGS' this morning, and I ran across this jewel. I know the previous owner, and called him before I dropped money. It had a set of very ugly Hogues on it, so I swapped them out for a set of Gold Cup grips.

It's a John Giles custom gun. Full length rib, outstanding trigger, stippled front strap, flat MSH, and beaver tail safety. He confirmed that he bought the gun from Mr. Giles in the early 1980's. I wasn't aware that my friend even had the gun, or was getting rid of it. He has hand weakness from a stroke, and can no longer rack the slide on autos. I later saw him at our club, and asked him to keep me posted on any other disposals he has in mind. This seemed like to good a deal to pass on.

The gun was built in 1962, and evidently not worked on until the early 1980's. It has some honest scratches and use marks, and there are a few spots of rust. However, it's tight, and I was glad to get a shooter at a good price.

I've read some of the historical threads, and evidently Mr. Giles had a great reputation as a 1911 builder. This one will get a lot of trigger time.

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
I once had a Giles built .38 Special semi-auto that was built on a pre-70 series Colt Super .38. It had the rib and unique sight as shown in the photo by Pendennis. It was a tack driver and functioned perfectly with flush seated .38 wadcutter bullets. The two magazines that came with the gun were modified .38 Super mags.

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just joined this forum, and I am just ecstatic about seeing these threads about John Giles. I got lucky around 20 years ago and was able to buy a 4 gun battery of Giles guns from a gentleman in NJ who had two sets made by John Giles, which consisted of a High Standard .22, a Colt .38 Super converted to .38 Special wadcutter, a Colt .45 hardball gun and a Colt .45 bullseye gun. It took me two years to scrape together the funds to buy the entire battery but one at a time I got them all. Here and there I acquired other Giles guns and I took them to the range and played with them. My feeling was I needed all the help I could get. I remember the High Standard had a test target that showed a 5/8th inch 10 shot group at 50 yards from a machine rest. That is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Giles 45 shop! I have two of his accurized guns. A Colt .38 Super converted to shoot .38 wadcutters and a .22 High Standard. They are really something. I will post a few pictures when I can. I loved shooting these guns in bullseye matches but as a result of some nerve damage over the years in my neck I kind of shake now and it pretty much sucks trying to shoot with one hand. It pisses me off but that's the price you pay for screwing yourself up when your young doing dumb things! I'll try and post some pictures when I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.