Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can almost hear John Browning snickering at the poor slobs who can't design a better BIG auto than HIS. Many have tried and most have failed.Now we have all these special add-ons that the venders make money selling and too many writers,taking gratuities, write up as the latest and bestest things since sliced bread.When will it end??I guess I am way behind the times by thinking the original 1911 and the Lightweight are plenty good enough for me.The best of two worlds.Both function perfectly and can be counted on for your life.modoc

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

·
Registered
794 Posts
modoc, I have to agree with you on this one. But you know full well, that many will say we are living in the past. Oh well!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certanly hope so.The past was heads a shoulders above these times of stainless metal and plastic.Most of these newbies look like a bunch of pimps toting around those ungodly looking junkers.My small collection ends at 1941,except for a couple. In it you can find guns that were FITTED by hand not by a thoughtless machine. But like you pointed out I live in the past and I thank GOD for giving me a memory to relive those days.

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree that there is still no pistol to compare with the 1911; it is still quite simply the best. I would like to add that John Browning merely sold a design to Colt and moved on. It was the engineers at Colt in conjuction with the Army board who brought the design to its final form. These unknown and unheralded people deserve the credit for the 1911 even more so than Browning. Wish I could find a picture of the "design team" so I could possibly identify who these people were that brought this piece to its finished form. They outdid themselves and everyone else right on up through today. Probably the greatest engineering team ever on the field. It is a shame that they remain virtually unknown and forever "in the shadow" of JMB. They deserve to stand right next to him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Even though I'm basically a wheelgun kind of guy, I can't help but be in awe of most anything John Moses Browning had a hand in designing. A lesser known fact is that ol' John himself described the Hi-Power as being "what the 1911 should've been".

That said, I still prefer 1911's to HP's.

Mark

·
Registered
60 Posts
John Moses Browning did not invent the 1911.
He found it on top of a mountain surrounded by a bright light, and a choir was singing "Hallelujah" in the background!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The point regarding John Brownings comments on the HP being what the 1911 should have been is really interesting since the Hp was never seen by Mr. Browning as he was long dead before Saive built the gun. Browning contributed only a couple of wooden models to the HP project. Since JB passed away in 1926, and the HP wasn't introduced until 1935; the fact that he was able to make comments about it just amaze me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts