Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I got my Colt letter back , Now I have research this and now all I had to do is put Joseph Antrim and the gun in the same state . Well my letter said it was shipped to San Francisco Ca.in 1903 . We know that Joseph was in NM. AZ. Co. now this is where my research got more intense . But I found where his father had after making a trip to visit relatives in California the father decided to settle there move to AdelaidaC Ca. in the 1880's William Henry Harrison Antrim Died there in 1922 . So Joseph Antrim did have family in California and it was not too far south of San Francisco to Adelaida Ca. The train was in Denver in 1880's So he had a easy way to get there by train . He had a reason to go there Family. So guys tell me if I got the facts the best you can with out having a letter from the Antrim saying this was his gun.. NOW JOSEPH ANTRIM HALF BROTHER TO BILLY THE KID. PASS A WAY IN DENVER IN 1930. THE KID LIKE THE 41CAL. AND HIS BROTHER DID ALSO . THE GUN I AM TALKING ABOUT IS A 1873 COLT SAA 41CAL. ON THE BACK STRAP HAS (1859 KID ANTRIM 1881 ) NO ONE WOULD PUT THIS ON A GUN WITH OUT KNOWING THE KIDS REAL NAME . I can tell that this was done many years ago because the gun got pitted on the back strap you can see the pitting going through the. So guys did I find Billy The Kids Half brother's GUN
IMG_0094 (2).JPG
IMG_0095 (2).JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
Engraving

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know much about Billy the Kid's 1/2 brother, didn't even know he had one, let alone that his name was Joe. But, reading your post immediately sparked my memory about some hand engravings under a set of 41colt SAA grips off a rough Colt that came through my hands awhile ago. When I first looked at them I thought to myself "sure wonder who this guy was" (or wasn't) ... the engravings were scratched Joe the Kid, on both panels, plus a W_ and 1931. Among a couple other scratchings.

I shrugged it off as nothing but man, who knows. Again, looking at your info stating this Joe Antrim died in 1930, it's quite a coincidence the initials W_ 1931 was engraved on this set. Owner after Joe died, a guys gotta assume?? How bout that.

Actually really intrigues me now. Wonder if there's a connection, or if the someone who handled any belongings estate for Joe might've recorded a name to whoever inherited items like these after Joes passing. If the guy inheriting guns could've had a W in his first name.. boy o boy, the 1931 beside it sure could make the light bulb flicker. I bet I can still turn that Colt up if there was some kinda concrete evidence existing to put the puzzle pieces together.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I do know Billy was called "Kid Antrim", not his brother. The gun is later than when Billy died, maybe it was a "tribute" engraving about him, but not owned by any of the family.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joseph Antrim died at Denver on Nov.25 ,1930 and no one claim his body so his body was given to the Colorado Medical School to be dissected . And I am sure the bording house keep his belongings . So the gun was not know to people as The Billy the Kids brothers gun. Hey Joe ran into Pat Garrett on Aug.of 1882 met by chance at the Armijo Hotel in Trinidad Co. . They talked there privately for two hours. Garrett and Joe eventually shook handsand parted company with no haed feelings. .So I don't think any body can put the gun to joe any better then I did.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In 1903 if you did not know the Antrim you would not know a thing about The Kid . No way to resercher it less you went to the county cort house and got find the paper work on his life . Joe would have maybe put that on his gun because no one would belived that the Kid was your half brother. Joe was also a Gambler and gunmen so he might have a reason to prove he was The Kids brother.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. in 1878 U.S. Marshal John Sherman held warrant for William H. Antrim , Alias KID, alias Bonny . With out the internet I would not found any of this info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this is not proof that the gun belong to Joe that it is the only way you can prove that the things happen and it is very likely that this is his gun. Tracing this info there is no other way to get an answer and then we all can say it was not his gun but my info points that it was most likely his . Only if a person can tell different story by first hand knowledge of what happen to his guns by being there when he died. And here is a gun coming out on Colt Forum that is a chance this is Joseph Antrim Gun half brother to Billy The Kid .

·
Registered
258 Posts
The last bit I can add to this thread is these pictures off the grips from the Colt I described in my post above... I was able to still get permission for the pictures, but left out the name & initials on one of the panels, plus blacked the second initial out beside W 1931 in the event things do turn significant and someone decides to try mimmick these. (I know, likely overthinking) But if there is some significance I'm not sure I'll ever see another Colt with nearly this historical provenience. The owner & myself are both of the opinion to keep the rest of those scratchings private for the time being.

So here is what these Blackpowder Colt grip carvings look like.. off a second possible Joe Antrim, W.H.Bonny blood-relate gun... for whatever it may prove, or help, or not.
76FD2838-96F0-486D-AC64-F433D69014DD.jpeg
45BED581-C306-47FB-A791-DB3E84B2A24A.jpeg

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
P.S. in 1878 U.S. Marshal John Sherman held warrant for William H. Antrim , Alias KID, alias Bonny . With out the internet I would not found any of this info.
I've known about the Antrim connection for over 50 yrs long before the internet,the reason for that is that I read BOOKS & still do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a problem 10 years ago lost CO2 for to long 20 min. this has left me with the lost of reading and spelling and most thing of all now I don't know the meaning of the words . So I know it is hard for me to put the right words down so what I try to say comes out right . And I know a lot of people will see this in my way of wording , spelling and get it all down so other people can understand. I could read a book and comprehend it now not so good for a person worked at U.T. Southwestern Medical for 17 years and worked my way up to Dir. in Bio Med..

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a problem 10 years ago lost CO2 for to long 20 min. this has left me with the lost of reading and spelling and most thing of all now I don't know the meaning of the words . So I know it is hard for me to put the right words down so what I try to say comes out right . And I know a lot of people will see this in my way of wording , spelling and get it all down so other people can understand. I could read a book and comprehend it now not so good for a person worked at U.T. Southwestern Medical for 17 years and worked my way up to Dir. in Bio Med..
You're doing great! Thanks for putting forth the effort to tell us the story and show us the gun. Whether or not it's his gun may never be known, but it's always interesting to try to piece together the truth.

Take care of yourself and please keep posting!!

Reactions: hvac

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I understand that but how many books in 1904 had all this in info
The books I have are old books (collectible) & the stories that are quoted are mostly "eyewitness" by people that were there @ the time not something that some writer read somewhere & then reprinted to put on the internet or worse yet in a documentary on tv losing pertinent facts in the process.Besides that if you've seen some of the documentaries on tv about the ex Lincoln Co sheriff that's trying to give posthumous amnesty to Billy the Kid he has visited me on 2 separate occasions along w/another friend from Tx & we've had a few interesting conversations about Billy the Kid & some of the writers that have written about him in recent times.An example in a recent "documentary" on Billy the Kid on tv it said the Pat Garret killed Billy the Kid in a saloon not @ Pete Maxwell's ranch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jim I did not mean that the books you have were not valuable and full of real history . I was just trying to say if you were not around in 1904 most people did not have the books that would inform them what had happen to the Antrim family and most people still don't know who they were . Now in the rare books you have and the people you know I bet you and the guys from Texas could help me put this as a yes or no on the gun. Help me if you would because I am asking for the help . Plus I am from Texas

·
Registered
258 Posts
Rosster 721 Do you still have those grips and if so would be willing to sell
My post states that they are on, and belong to a blackpowder 41colt single action. Which in itself belongs to someone else. Neither of which are for sale.

Mix & matching would be a pretty foolish idea anyway if authenticity is what you're after. Those kinda tricks aren't wise & hold no merit in the collector business... especially on items like these tied to any potential significance. These will be staying with the gun, without question.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I would not change my gun at all but I would like yours to put in a show case . No other reason I am like you if they could talk . Heck I just bought a very ruff 1851 and I have order a case for it but you must see then you will know if it could talk.
IMG_0297 (2).JPG
IMG_0299 (2).JPG

·
Registered
258 Posts
No I would not change my gun at all but I would like yours to put in a show case . No other reason I am like you if they could talk . Heck I just bought a very ruff 1851 and I have order a case for it but you must see then you will know if it could talk. View attachment 707028 View attachment 707029
I suppose for the right price, everything could be made available. If you'd like me to mention it to the fellow, send me a message via PM on the site and we can go from there. I don't know what he will say but I can ask. If there were any real providence to the 2 Colts, they'd likely be best off paired anyway. So never know.

As the old saying goes I guess, money talks. lol (although I only ever hear it say bye-bye)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts