Colt Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
click on your icon in the upper right corner. then click "Conversations".........

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
interesting read for those inclined.

Very informative indeed. In the past I have tried to backtrack from the 1880 Census to locate Billy in 1870 and 1860. I may have found him living in Illinois with another family in 1870. But like in that Antrim Family History link above, not everything matches up.

Attached is Billy's entry in the 1880 Census as taken at Fort Sumner, NM. Here William Bonny claims to be 25 years old, and born in Missouri. Many people didn't really know where they were born for these old census records, so this entry may not be correct. Unlike now, they couldn't call mom to ask. Notice that Billy "works in cattle", which is probably a clever statement.

In the same dwelling at Fort Sumner is Billy's companion Charley Bowdre, and his wife Manuella. Again "works in cattle". In six months Charley would be shot all to hell at Stinking Springs by a Garrett posse. They were holed up in a stone hut with all windows and one door facing the same direction. Charley was possibly trying to pull horses inside in prep to make a running escape. Stories vary. Some say that Charley was wearing Billy's hat, and that got him killed. Billy surrendered.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
The books I have are old books (collectible) & the stories that are quoted are mostly "eyewitness" by people that were there @ the time not something that some writer read somewhere & then reprinted to put on the internet or worse yet in a documentary on tv losing pertinent facts in the process.Besides that if you've seen some of the documentaries on tv about the ex Lincoln Co sheriff that's trying to give posthumous amnesty to Billy the Kid he has visited me on 2 separate occasions along w/another friend from Tx & we've had a few interesting conversations about Billy the Kid & some of the writers that have written about him in recent times.An example in a recent "documentary" on Billy the Kid on tv it said the Pat Garret killed Billy the Kid in a saloon not @ Pete Maxwell's ranch.
I F-ing love this guy! Jim any chance you live in Boston and by me a beer sometime?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts