Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swamprat knows my passion for .38 special, so when he sent me photos to this beauty, I said WOW. I am not sure what calibre it started out as in 1899, because I will need a letter, but it is now a .38 special. Fariam asked why there is an address on the right side of the barrel above the ejector rod and weagle answered him it is a factory replacement barrel. The .38 special was such a popular calibre that some first generations were sent back to be converted. This one just came in, and I think a letter will be in order, even if only to find out how it started its Colt SAA life. All numbers match and I like the stocks, so here a few photos. Oh and by the way, I have an original 1st generation .38 special coming, one of 1365, and it does have a letter. I like SAA's and .38's, what a great combination.

Colt .38 1899 L.JPG Colt .38 1899 R.JPG Colt .38 1899 Barrel L S.JPG Colt .38 1899 Barrel R.JPG Colt .38 1899 Numbers.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The .38 cartridge was introduced early and though it had a slow start, by the 30's & 40's the .38 special became popular enough that Colt offered conversion kits. These kits could be smithed by Colt or given to other gunsmiths to do the work. I am hoping the SAA will letter because it will be interesting if it did.

.38 Special was introduced 1930 after serial # 353800

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
The .38 cartridge was introduced early and though it had a slow start, by the 30's & 40's the .38 special became popular enough that Colt offered conversion kits. These kits could be smithed by Colt or given to other gunsmiths to do the work. I am hoping the SAA will letter because it will be interesting if it did.
Colt's didn't keep records on repairs or conversions. So I've been told.:(

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi There,

Doesn't a barrel address on the right-hand side indicate a post war barrel?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
There are many 1st gen SAA's that were converted to 38 special with the barrel and cylinders that Colt offered after WW2. The fact that the Colt Ledger that contained information on guns after about 1930 (after SN 353800) was lost (or stolen) makes it almost impossible to verify one of these SAA's as being original.

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
Hi There,

Doesn't a barrel address on the right-hand side indicate a post war barrel?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Yes. The gun in wolfcoln's photos has a factory replacement barrel. He has another gun coming in that is an original .38 special, and letters as such.

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
There are many 1st gen SAA's that were converted to 38 special with the barrel and cylinders that Colt offered after WW2. The fact that the Colt Ledger that contained information on guns after about 1930 (after SN 353800) was lost (or stolen) makes it almost impossible to verify one of these SAA's as being original.
We need that ledger!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Anyone know if the cyl offered after WWII had fixed or removable bushings? Been trying to learn what i have in a 1956 .38 sp with a barrel address on the right side, like this gun, and a non removable bushing.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I also have a converted SAA - mine was changed from .38 .40 to 38 Spec- it was also born in 1899, it has a pressed in bushing.

It was my first Colt SAA- damn was I was happy to find it.! :)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Second Generation (Post WWII) cylinders have removable bushings and a Rampant Colt stamp.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hans:
I really like that .38 Special. I once owned a Pre War .357 in that exact configuration. It was in the 357xxx serial number range.
Sadly traded years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts