Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1977 Smith & Wesson commemorated their 125th. anniversary with the first S&W ever chambered for .45 Colt. Designated as the model 25-3, there were 10,000 of this big N-frame commemorative made by S&W. Of these, 50 revolvers featured "Class A Plus" engraving, factory ivory grips and were designated the model 25-4.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Beautiful engraving -- am I seeing ivory overhanging the steel at the butt or is it a new fit version?

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful engraving -- am I seeing ivory overhanging the steel at the butt or is it a new fit version?
Robert,
They are a little proud. Could be they weren't done in house for any particular gun or they were left a little proud to allow for shrinkage or individual fitting.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I own a 4" model 25-5. Just blue, no engraving. When I first bought it, near the same time I bought a used/as new Colt SAA in .45 colt, I shot them off the bench together. Same various ammo, the smith functioned well but the cases were bulged on the colt. I sent the colt to the factory and they gave me a new cylinder with the removable bushing numbered to my gun, no charge! The model 25 -5 shoots about the same as a 24-3 I have in 4", (.44 special). The 24-3 has the lighter tapered barrel and the 25-5 has the straight heavier barrel.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Awesome work...and I'm not all that interested in engraved guns. Too bad it's wasted on a Smiff & Weasel. :p

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
.. the first S&W ever chambered for .45 Colt.
Beautiful gun, but not the first ever Smith & Wesson revolver chambered in .45 Colt. It is reported that there are 21 .44 Hand Ejector 1st Models (Triple Locks), some .44 Hand Ejector 2nd Models, 724 .455 Mark II Hand Ejector 2nd Models, 203 .45 Hand Ejector Models of 1950 and 200 .45 Target Models of 1950. The 125th Commemorative might qualify as the first "regular production" Smith chambered in .45 Colt (assuming that a commemorative actually qualifies as "regular production"), it is not THE first. That claim goes to the Triple Lock, assuming the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" is accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Nice, pinned barrel and super engraving, Ivories, and my favorite caliber.

thanks for sharing.

Craig

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Very nice gun Rick. Pinned but not recessed I’m assuming? I’ve had the chance to buy a few 25’s but have always passed. Reason being that except for one Winchester Trapper all my .45 Colts are SAA’s. I’d be too tempted to go the Elmer Keith route since all I do is reload and that could be bad for my Colts. If I want a hot load in one of my Trappers I’ve got a couple in .44 Mag.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Around the early 1970`s I had a chance to buy a almost new looking Triplelock in .45 Colt from a collector friend for I think, $200. That would be about like $1,100 today. I had read a lot of Elmer Keith stuff and wanted a .44 special. At the time I didnt know there were so few made in .45 colt. I did get one in .44 special but that fine .45 colt would be worth a lot today.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Why those grips are just screaming for some Rick Bowles' scrimshaw, Rick.

Bud

In 1977 Smith & Wesson commemorated their 125th. anniversary with the first S&W ever chambered for .45 Colt. Designated as the model 25-3, there were 10,000 of this big N-frame commemorative made by S&W. Of these, 50 revolvers featured "Class A Plus" engraving, factory ivory grips and were designated the model 25-4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts