Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got a light box and could not wait to start playing with it. So here are some pictures that I took trying to get the lighting and aperture set just right so the pictures will come out looking their best. I will still tinker with my settings, but what do you think so far......

57 Python

1919 GM Please excuse the NO mag....took it apart to clean the inside but got sidetracked when the lighting tent went up.

Premium Member
Hey the 57 Python was the same year I was born, I wish I looked that good. Jim

Registered
Looks real good. Off to a very good start. Have been thinking about purchasing a light box. Where did you buy yours and what manufacturer?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the light box I bought off of amazon. It's a pretty good deal.

Amazon.com: Idirectmart Photo Tent Table Top Studio Light Photography Soft Box Kit - Size 19.5-Inch Cube: Camera & Photo

wish I had known more about the different types of lights. The lights in the kit are good but I would of liked a little brighter. There are kits with different lights that are more expensive. So maybe they are a bit better. Once I set my cameras white balance to the tungsten bulb setting I got better results. You can see a bit of a shadow in some pictures and I believe brighter bulbs would fix that.

Registered
Are you using a flash? My old point-and-shoot digital camera struggled with indoor photos in general, especially with no flash, regardless of lighting. Apparently the light sensor was pretty small. Indoor photos of guns ain't the easiest thing, if you ask me. Stainless and nickel guns are tricky, as are guns that are just plain dark to begin with--I mean, blued with dark wood. So, you can have problems with too light and blown-out, or too dark with little detail, depending on the gun. Good outdoor light cures many ills.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you using a flash? My old point-and-shoot digital camera struggled with indoor photos in general, especially with no flash, regardless of lighting. Apparently the light sensor was pretty small. Indoor photos of guns ain't the easiest thing, if you ask me. Stainless and nickel guns are tricky, as are guns that are just plain dark to begin with--I mean, blued with dark wood. So, you can have problems with too light and blown-out, or too dark with little detail, depending on the gun. Good outdoor light cures many ills.
Nope....no flash. F stop set to 11, my ISO is 100, WB set to tungsten. The shutter speed adjusts by itself. Just need a little more light to get rid of the shadows

Registered
Nope....no flash. F stop set to 11, my ISO is 100, WB set to tungsten. The shutter speed adjusts by itself. Just need a little more light to get rid of the shadows
What I do is what I have learned on my own and it works pretty good. You have your white balance set and tungsten selected. Using your photo shop program try brightening the entire image until the white photo tent shows clean white and there is just a trace of shadows from the gun. Regards.

Premium Member
The photos look great.

You may also try using, if your camera has it, the onboard flash. The technique is called fill-flash because it fills in the less than perfect light. If it has settings, try the lowest setting, usually a -1.0 compensation, then work up to -.7, -.3 etc. Do this in conjunction with your apeture and shutter speed settings. Generally a small aperture, like f/45 down to f/20 will render the most depth of field and if shot from a tri-pod with the camera's timer, so that you do not touch the camera, it will yield a sharp, clear image.

All just minor adjustments to your already great photos!

Registered
nice, now all you have to do is figure out how to float it without the perch, is there like a putty or something the experts use?

Registered
Nice sharp details on the pistol. The background looks kinda grey on my monitor though, you might try using a gray card to adjust your white balance.

Premium Member
Nice work ping, you did a nice job of capturing these guns.

Bud

So I just got a light box and could not wait to start playing with it. So here are some pictures that I took trying to get the lighting and aperture set just right so the pictures will come out looking their best. I will still tinker with my settings, but what do you think so far......

57 Python

1919 GM Please excuse the NO mag....took it apart to clean the inside but got sidetracked when the lighting tent went up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts