Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thru hole in the back is slightly off center to the loading gate side.

I had always assumed that the thru hole was centered on these hammers, however after looking at a few hammers of different vintages I discovered that the hole is slightly offset. Just noticed this by accident and thought I would share the observation.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hey there Weagle;

That's interesting. I just calipered all mine and the measurement on the right is 2.83 mm and on the left it's 2.9 Not very much at all.

I wonder why this is so.

Bud

The thru hole in the back is slightly off center to the loading gate side.

I had always assumed that the thru hole was centered on these hammers, however after looking at a few hammers of different vintages I discovered that the hole is slightly offset. Just noticed this by accident and thought I would share the observation.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
For those of us who might not be so well educated on the subject, would you kindly explain the purpose of the hole?

Bob Wright

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
It is there, after removing the retaining pin, to drive the firing pin from the hammer by inserting a punch in the hole and knocking the FP out. This was necessary with the fixed pin hammers. When they went to a floating firing pin there was no need for force to remove the pin so the hole was eliminated from the back of the hammer. Regards

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
It is there, after removing the retaining pin, to drive the firing pin from the hammer by inserting a punch in the hole and knocking the FP out. This was necessary with the fixed pin hammers. When they went to a floating firing pin there was no need for force to remove the pin so the hole was eliminated from the back of the hammer. Regards
Thank you for that. Pretty obvious the way you explain it, but then I don't have one of those at hand.

Bob Wright

1 - 5 of 5 Posts