Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always wanted a comp gun, so rebuilt one of my old IPSC gun builds with a Clark Drop in Compensator. In the process stripped off the Swenson Ambi safety and the mag well mainspring housing, the latter because it seemed to balance better with the 10 round mag. I bought the 70 series used and it already had the "Dragon's Tooth" punching, not attractive, but grippy. The job wasn't entirely "drop in", I needed to fool with springs and a full length guide rod. It is running 100% reliably with hardball and fairly well with my Berry's hollow point handloads. Next step to find an adjustable rear sight that works with the Wilson Combat cut. Yes, they are really ugly old grip panels, but they have a rounded profile that fills my hand better than anything else I've tried.
Air gun Grey Trigger Line Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Material property

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Now that's an interesting looking pistol, and you've done it without going over the top with it. It isn't something that I'd want for myself, but the condition of the finish really appeals to me. And the rear sight, although it may be modern, reminds me of the early ones that were put on WWII 1911A1s, usually Remington Rands at first, to turn them into match pistols. Is the flat MSH checkered, or does it sorta match the front strap? The stocks sorta remind me of 70s-era Jay Scott grips.

I don't see the advantage of the variation on the ring hammer, or the drilled trigger...but that's just an entirely personal preference. Ditto for the beavertail, but that's probably because I've never experienced hammer bite.

But I can't fault your pistol. And actually, I take back what I said about not wanting it for myself. I would like to have one looked like that, even though I have no practical use for it.

Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that's an interesting looking pistol, and you've done it without going over the top with it. It isn't something that I'd want for myself, but the condition of the finish really appeals to me. And the rear sight, although it may be modern, reminds me of the early ones that were put on WWII 1911A1s, usually Remington Rands at first, to turn them into match pistols. Is the flat MSH checkered, or does it sorta match the front strap? The stocks sorta remind me of 70s-era Jay Scott grips.

I don't see the advantage of the variation on the ring hammer, or the drilled trigger...but that's just an entirely personal preference. Ditto for the beavertail, but that's probably because I've never experienced hammer bite.

But I can't fault your pistol. And actually, I take back what I said about not wanting it for myself. I would like to have one looked like that, even though I have no practical use for it.

Congratulations.
Well, I really don't have a use for it either, just something I wanted and could do at reasonable cost. I even managed to come up with the proper for the day Ernie Hill holster. The mainspring housing is checkered, can't recall who I bought it from, but a well known supplier, the hammer and various internals were Ed Brown and recent. I have a fair pile if 1911 parts, but I don't have another short trigger at the moment. the holes were probably as important as those Harley Earl put on the Buick back in the day. Modular guns are fun. I don't believe the grips are marked, they are certainly old. I've only managed to get my hands on three sets, this, one on a 1911 Super from the '50's and the last on an old 3" J frame .38. If I run across any more that will fit guns I have, I'll certainly get them, if I can buy them right. Thanks for looking & commenting!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
With a few exceptions (hammer, grips, stippling), that looks a whole lot like the first comp gun I build back in the late 80's. If I remember right, the drop-in comp I used replaced the barrel bushing and was called a B.A.T. bushing.
I went the other direction with mine and put it back is semi-stock condition.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a few exceptions (hammer, grips, stippling), that looks a whole lot like the first comp gun I build back in the late 80's. If I remember right, the drop-in comp I used replaced the barrel bushing and was called a B.A.T. bushing.
I went the other direction with mine and put it back is semi-stock condition.
Wilson still makes a bushing compensator, I might try one temporarily on my old Super just for fun. When I bought this 70 Series it had already acquired a ring hammer. I should find a proper original to go in the parts bag. I keep original parts bagged by gun and serial number. Actually I'm on the same path - I put the Super back, and took a few parts off this one. I can't class either as a "collectable", though the Super could be if I had the original sights reinstalled. For the moment, I'd rather shoot both of them.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Congratulations.
Well you got me going! Numrich had a short grooved trigger and a blued 70 series hammer. Just ordered, progress toward the end of next week.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Wilson still makes a bushing compensator, I might try one temporarily on my old Super just for fun. When I bought this 70 Series it had already acquired a ring hammer. I should find a proper original to go in the parts bag. I keep original parts bagged by gun and serial number. Actually I'm on the same path - I put the Super back, and took a few parts off this one. I can't class either as a "collectable", though the Super could be if I had the original sights reinstalled. For the moment, I'd rather shoot both of them.
I would stay away from the bushing comps. They don't really work well as a comp because of the big hole in the front end for the barrel during the firing sequence. They look semi-cool but I think there is less perceived recoil because of the extra weight hung on the front end.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Those 'are' Jay Scott grips - every so often, ebay has them, and any dings can be polished out.

If you get a repro WWI MSH, you can apply the 'Dragon's Tooth' to that, as well - my own is checkered.

As to the sight - look at Novak.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those 'are' Jay Scott grips - every so often, ebay has them, and any dings can be polished out.

If you get a repro WWI MSH, you can apply the 'Dragon's Tooth' to that, as well - my own is checkered.

As to the sight - look at Novak.
Thanks! Got the trigger and installed it, hammer as well, but I don't have a spare hammer strut. The one on the current hammer, either a Wilson or Ed Brown trigger job kit, is firmly pressed in. Tried a punch from both directions, no luck. I suppose I could drill; it out but they tell me patience is a virtue. Have to put together another Brownells order. No rush, a project.

My mainspring housing is straight, blued and checkered, came with the gun and I'm planning to stay with that one.

Thought the grips might be Jay Scott, but not one of the three sets I have is marked. Retro though they are, I like them on a 1911, fits my hand. Will keep an eye out.

Will take a look at Novak sights, I do need adjustable for this beast. Question is what is cut like a Wilson Combat from former days.

Maybe order the sights with the strut. Just now, a litter of 1911 parts on the bench.

More to the story as it unfolds!

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Any 'vintage' parts do show up on ebay - some used - some NOS - but knowing that, and not being in a hurry, you should be able to find an old favorite before long.

I kinda keep watch for the little MMC sight, as well as a decent Swenson ambi-safety - the MMC sights were 'really' low-profile and actually worked well.

I went through a few back when I built carry pieces, but eventually went with S&W J-frame sights before I just got too busy to do the work - but I did build some nice stuff that was still in use a few decades later until their owners retired or passed on.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any 'vintage' parts do show up on ebay - some used - some NOS - but knowing that, and not being in a hurry, you should be able to find an old favorite before long.

I kinda keep watch for the little MMC sight, as well as a decent Swenson ambi-safety - the MMC sights were 'really' low-profile and actually worked well.

I went through a few back when I built carry pieces, but eventually went with S&W J-frame sights before I just got too busy to do the work - but I did build some nice stuff that was still in use a few decades later until their owners retired or passed on.
Whenever you want a Swenson or a Wilson Ambi (virtually identical, IMO) I have at least one spare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts