Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Used Never-Dull metal polish to polish my new Cobra. Removed that dull satin finish and gave it a real nice luster. Not the mirror like finish that you pay $375 for but one that I really like. It looks great with the new VZ grips in black and grey.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Before and after?

I know that Nevr-Dull works small miracles on alloy, as my brother and I wore our elbows out polishing the fuselage of a 1941 Luscombe 8C with it. Looked like chrome, though.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Why did you choose Never-Dull over Flitz ?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I am going to get one of these used when the right deal pops up, I like them just don't want to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Looks a lot more satiny now. You have the time to spend completing the finish. Colt's had to move them out the door.

Impressive stocks! Overall, how do you like it?

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My old, myopic eyes are not good anymore, but I see nothing...
The change is subtle and very difficult to see in a picture. That's why I hesitated to post the picture in the first place. In any event I definitely notice the difference and that's all that matters to me. All it did was to give the matted finish a little more luster and take some of the dullness away.

Reactions: ei8ht and Abwehr

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks a lot more satiny now. You have the time to spend completing the finish. Colt's had to move them out the door.

Impressive stocks! Overall, how do you like it?
Overall I am very happy with the new Cobra especially with the new stocks. Trigger is excellent and its a great shooter.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why did you choose Never-Dull over Flitz ?

No special reason. I had a can of Never-Dull that I use on the chrome exhausts pipes of my car and I decided to try it on my Cobra.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
The change is subtle and very difficult to see in a picture. That's why I hesitated to post the picture in the first place. In any event I definitely notice the difference and that's all that matters to me. All it did was to give the matted finish a little more luster and take some of the dullness away.
Back in the 80’s we used to glass bead stainless golf club heads. Started using never-dull hand rubbed after to smooth out and slightly darken finish. Looked great initially, however after 4-5 months, finish became mottled or cloudy in spots. Never stayed smooth and consistent with never-dull. Swithched to using Fitz and Mothers and problem went away. Guy at parts house said never-dull has a lot of silicone and eventually dries out. Don’t know if that’s true. I would love to know if the finish on your Colt stays consistent. I like the way it changes appearance of stainless but have been staying away from guns because of past results. It could have been something we were doing, not the product.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back in the 80’s we used to glass bead stainless golf club heads. Started using never-dull hand rubbed after to smooth out and slightly darken finish. Looked great initially, however after 4-5 months, finish became mottled or cloudy in spots. Never stayed smooth and consistent with never-dull. Swithched to using Fitz and Mothers and problem went away. Guy at parts house said never-dull has a lot of silicone and eventually dries out. Don’t know if that’s true. I would love to know if the finish on your Colt stays consistent. I like the way it changes appearance of stainless but have been staying away from guns because of past results. It could have been something we were doing, not the product.
I've been using Never-Dull on the chrome exhaust tips on my Porsche cars for years and never had any issues with cloudy spots. I will, however, let you know if anything changes on the finish of my Cobra. Based on my past experience with this product I really don't think that is going to happen. If it does it gives me an incentive to bit the bullet and spend the $375 to get my Cobra polished to a mirror like finish.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

This picture may do a better job of showing the finish on my Cobra after polishing with Never-Dull metal polish. Again not a dramatic change but definitely more luster to the finish in my opinion. There were some light scratches in the finish before I used Never-Dull and the are now completely gone. That alone is worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts