Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to clean up some of the clutter, I found these two old full boxes of ammo. I love finding forgotten treasures. I don' even remember where they came from.
The 22 shorts date from 1910-1918 but no idea on the BB caps. Anyone have an idea? Enjoy the pictures anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
Looks like the date code on the .22 Short cartridge box is 8-14, but some disagreement if that is manufacture date or date that label was first used. I tend to think is is closer to manufacture date. The BB caps probably date to the same period, but see no date on box.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Johnny. I guessed someplace in that timeframe but half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb about and although I have several hundred antique boxes of ammo, they're just for display and I don't know near enough about them.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Depending about how 'antique' is defined, a good way to date the box is by looking at the ads in period publications.

Yeah, it gets difficult, but old mail order catalogs and 'sportsman' magazines can be found as far back as 1900 and many of the box logos are illustrated.

It's an excellent way to document, and to build your references from the dated magazine ads.

I like vintage .22 boxes, myself - but realized that I'd run out of room if I collected them all, so I pared them down to .22 Long Rifle, with a sub-section of military-issued stuff.

Those, and the GI issue centerfire ammunition seems to keep my ammunition collecting urges satisfied.

Still looking to the old jacketed 'BALL' .22LR that Remington produced, but the hunt is often more fun than the capture, and I'm as patient as Death.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I do with them. It's fun being surrounded with the old accoutrements of firearms history.
Heck they are just neat to look at. Glad you found them again so you could enjoy them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts