Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this forum today by searching for J. M. Molloy. He signed the test targets on my 1934 .45 National Match Government Model and on my 1936 .38 Officer's Model Target Heavy Barrel. My grandfather bought the guns, and I inherited them from my dad. There's also a .38 Detective Special. All three have their original boxes with matching serial numbers penciled on the bottom. They are my three most prized possessions.

My initials are RAM, so it fit in nicely with the Rampant Colt.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from East Texas.

Your post in the revolver section was very interesting and revealing about Colt in the old days; hope you are able to locate and acquire your Grandfather’s missing Colt, that would really be nice!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
RAMpant, Welcome from New England. Just picked up a 4 inch blue Police Positive in 38 S&W (1941). Making up some 38/200 loads.

Mark :cool:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Welcome from Texas RAMpant. Great forum for all things Colt, have fun, learn lots, share what you know.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Greetings, I also have a target signed by J M Molloy it is on a 1933 Woodsman 22. It states 5 shots from 15 yards and shot from a arm rest. Number 403312, if that means anything, which I am sure it does. He was a pretty good shot.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Welcome from Illinois- You'll find a great bunch of guys here and you can also find out a lot of factual information. Sounds like a nice Colt collection you've got. Now to start adding to the list!! What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town working round the clock, but I'm back in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

My grandfather also had a Colt Camp Perry .22 listed in his handwritten inventory, but that one got away.

To Egg Collector, I've got a .jpg image of a full page Woodsman ad from my Grandfather's documents. Let me see if I can figure out how to post it.

I had to add a couple of shootable/collectible guns to my collection, so I picked up a 1968 Colt Government Model, and then I recently added a Colt .22 conversion kit from about the same era that matches it perfectly. So I guess that's 4.5 Colts.

I probably shouldn't have, but I had to pry off the ugly old brown plastic grips on the '68 and replace them with some nice cocobolo grips. Tip: A hairdryer on warm setting helped remove the old grips.

Note on attachments: I had to lower the resolution to be able to upload them. I can send higher resolution images directly to you if you wish. It's hard to read the text under the picture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings, I also have a target signed by J M Molloy it is on a 1933 Woodsman 22. It states 5 shots from 15 yards and shot from a arm rest. Number 403312, if that means anything, which I am sure it does. He was a pretty good shot.
That number 403312 should be a serial number, but according to http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html your serial number should start with 85000. Very curious.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The number 403312 is on the target itself not the gun. The number on the 22 is 103XXX. Not sure why everyone X's out the last number? It is just under the trigger guard. That is the only number other than the patient dates that I have found. Would post some pictures but need my son in law to show me how from my end. If someone can explain either number, I do not want to state something that is incorrect. I already found one mistake it is a 1937, not a 1933.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my two test targets signed by Mr. Molloy in 1934 and 1936, the number is the serial number that matches the gun. You may have something different. You might get clarification if you call Colt customer service at 800-962-COLT (2658).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts