Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t find my original post about a SAA 3rd gen I bought used, some bubba had taken a file to the trigger and hammer. Today I got my SAA back from the Colt’s Mfg Co. and my previously unsafe gun is now perfect. The new trigger and hammer cost $250.00. I have less than half the price of ones on gunbroker into this so I’m money ahead. Colt’s did a great job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats, I’m glad Colt did you a good job, my SAA is at Colt right now due to the front sight being canted to the right. What was the turn around time on your Colt? Colt told me at least 3 months on non service agreement repairs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shipped my Colt’s back to the factory right after they opened after New Years. Colt’s sent me a bill which I mailed in to them on January 22nd.

To be honest it’s been too cold for me (whine whine) to get out to much shooting lately so the timing is good.

I normally plan on sending my guns to the gunsmith after thanksgiving which I did with this Colt’s, but my local gunsmith told me he couldn’t fix it and to send it to the factory.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just picked up an early 3rd gen SAA that needs some trigger work but I’m hoping my local gunsmith can take care of it for me as I’d rather not send it all the way across the country to Colt and then have to wait three months for them to repair it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My gunsmith said it looked like the factory just installed the parts without fitting them. He said he’ll have it up and running within the next few days.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today my gunsmith called me and said the new factory installed hammer was a little too wide for the frame and the new trigger was cut at the wrong angle. He said I had endshake too, so he ordered some shims. This gun is an early 3rd gen and it has the pressed in permanent base pin cylinder bushing. None of these items are fatal, and I only paid $900.00 for it about 12 years ago. Fortunately I have many other guns so shoot while this Colt’s is in the horse hospital.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Today my gunsmith called me and said the new factory installed hammer was a little too wide for the frame and the new trigger was cut at the wrong angle. He said I had endshake too, so he ordered some shims. This gun is an early 3rd gen and it has the pressed in permanent base pin cylinder bushing. None of these items are fatal, and I only paid $900.00 for it about 12 years ago. Fortunately I have many other guns so shoot while this Colt’s is in the horse hospital.
Colt just threw the parts in................what is going on over there?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
LeverActionBill said:
The shims go on the bushing from the rear...…...
I don't know much but when my horses go to the horse hospital it doesn't take me much to ask for a second or even a third opinion ;)

Bad from Colt? Then a Colt rebuild? Now the gunny sez the hammer and sear are bad? Needin those pesky bushings? It all gets real confusing for us old folk :cool:

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
So far, that SAA cost $1150 - and it's rising - once the so-called 'gunsmith' adds on his charges.

Might've been better to buy Kuhnhausen's book and avoid a 'gunsmith' like this, who may be looking at his customers as prey...

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
At this point I wouldn't send anything to Colt to get work done, Not even close to the company it was as far as craftsmanship. Sad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eddie Janis does great work, but his signature work is an action job which in my opinion is too light on the hammer. I just want this gun up and running. My gunsmith is slow but he’s good, cheap and there are no shipping costs. This Colt’s is kind of a beater, I’m going to use it in a cowboy match at the end of May and I’m confident the fleas will be gone out of it by then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts