Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited two old colt pistols that belonged to my great grandfather and grandfather that have been in the family for at least 80 years to the best of my knowledge. I looked up serial numbers, the first being a colt SAA frontier six shooter in .44 cal with all matching serial numbers from 1891. The second being a colt M1911 government issue from 1916. I did a little research on both and can’t find any information on the 1891 saa but I was able to confirm all the inspection markings on the 1911 being one of 500 guns sent to San Antonio arsenal on December 16, 1916. All the inspection marks are visible being the H from Hosmer I believe, the only variation I can find is I believe it’s a WWII era barrel as the inspection marks are not on the top of barrel but on bottom where pin goes through. There are several stories that go along with these firearms that have been past down in the family but I’m not positive if they have been embellished on for sale of a good story. I do know my great grandfather served in the U.S. Marines from 1914-1918 and was in Europe in WWI and my grandfather served in the U.S. Navy from 1940-1964 in the South Pacific and Korea. I was wondering if anyone here could give me a little information to the authenticity of these firearms as they should be all original and unaltered. I had never seen the 1891 prior to inheriting and had only seen the 1911 when I was very young when my grandfather was still alive. I know very little about old firearms with the exception of what I have learned on the internet since receiving these two pistols so any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I will include a few pictures of these firearms to hopefully help with information.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, WOW! Second, welcome to the Colt Forum from mid-Michigan! Heck of a first post... someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to provide some guidance... thanks for sharing these!
Thank you, my son told me to come here for information being that he is into the black powder firearms he follows a couple forums

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the M1911 may have a Springfield Armory magazine with it. Please show the bottom of the magazine base plate and the magazine follower. Thanks.

BTW, don't store your pistol in the holster. That can cause damage to the finish.
Thank you for the advice, good to know about the holster here are a couple pictures

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it is a SA magazine and worth much more than the correct Colt magazine that was shipped with your pistol. Be sure not to let anyone take advantage of you, should you decide to trade for a correct mag.
Thank you so much for the information, I took them both into a local gun store that was supposed to specialize in antique firearms. They told me the clip and barrel weren’t original which decreased the value, he offered me $1,100 for the two because he said they had a lot of wear especially the saa. I told him I wasn’t interested in selling and he told me they weren’t really worth much and I should just cut my losses and take my wife out to a nice dinner. That is why I came here I just wanted to know about them and if I should put them away to keep them safe. My son wanted to take them to the range and fire them but because of the age of them I wasn’t sure if that was a good idea?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all. Great introduction with great looking Colts. Thanks for sharing them with us.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.