Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of the high polish Royal blue on a SAA (though it does look great on a NF or Python), I prefer the more traditional lower luster finish on the 1st and 2nd gen guns. Does anyone know if the custom shop would build a SAA with the older style blue? If so, has anyone had one built that way? Obviously once they start to take orders again.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I would start a searching for an early 3rd gen. They have a very similar blue finish to the 2nd gen. SAAs. I have several and there is quite a difference in them and the most current 3rd gens.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Over the years I've had several early 3rd gen SAAs, a number of 2nd gens and a few 1st gen. I don't particularly care for the early 3rd gen guns, but I wouldn't turn one down if the price was right and if it was in a caliber bbl length configuration that I liked.

My question is really more of a thought exercise, to consider if I should ever order a new SAA from Colt sometime in the future. I've seen examples of recent SAA with the black powder frames, button head ejectors, chamfered cylinders, etched panels, etc, but always with the ultra high polish blue. Colt seems to be, or has recently been, able to produce a single action with many of the older style features, but I've never seen one of the newer production SAAs with the older finishes. Like I said, it's really just something to keep at the back of my mind for a possible future acquisition. I think it would be kinda cool to have a current production Colt with what everyone says is its higher build quality with a more traditional finish. To me a Colt Single Action is the ultimate work gun, and somehow dressing it up with the Python grade finish doesn't quite work for me.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I called colt and answered my own question. If anyone (other than me) is interested, the Colt Custom shop will produce a SAA with the earlier style lower polish finish. Also, according to the rep I spoke with, the Custom Shop will probably start accepting orders again in mid December.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Here is an example of a charcoal blue and factory blue.
Top SAA is NIB 3 Gen. , bottom is Turnbulls charcoal blue finish. Not a lot of difference, but noticable.
125th Anniversary was Colts Royal Blue.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, the bottom one by Turnbulls is more what I'm looking for. Here's my 1st gen from 1921 which has a slightly more matte finish on bbl and cylinder.

Best regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.