Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post pics after I get it and do some work on it. It is an Armi San Marco like my other Walker.
This one is in like new condition in the box with Colt New York address barrel markings. I am going to swap its blued cylinder
for the "in the white" cylinder of my first Walker. I might try my hand at adding a pressure ridge or groove just in front of the cylinder stops like the originals on the "white" cylinder. It is interesting to note that the
pressure "ridge" is very faint on many of the Walkers at the Parade of Walkers, but the ridge does seem to coincide with the bottom edge of the "Rangers and Indians" scene. This is confirmed by Walker photos in Wilson's
"The Colt Heritage" and other Wilson references. Since most Walkers were well used the "Hay's
Big Fight" engraving and ridge is nearly gone on many originals, but on some the "ridge"
can still be seen. I am just going deepen that bottom line engraving very slightly since the engraved line on any repros doesnt
go all around the cylinder c.
Now I need to get a cabinet maker friend of mine to make me
a replica of the Blunt and Syms presentation case and get some 3rd gen Walker accessories and I'll
be done with my Walker projects.....well almost. I still want to try adding a detachable stock to a Walker as was done
by a TheHighRoad.org forum member from France.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I am looking to do with one of my ASM Walkers. Some of the old hands over at thehighroad.org say that putting a detachable stock using a longer hammer screw on a Walker is impossible due to the frame size. Well, this gentleman in France apparently did just that. It's a matter of careful measurement, removing just a little brass here and there on the stock, machining a crescent notch into the bottom of the grip for the hook, and doing some work on the threaded grip hook angle and length.

Dixie Gunworks used to sell these hammer screw mounted stocks until recently, but they are not showing in their online catalog now. They only carry the 1959 Colt patent 4th screw reproduction to fit revolvers with cutouts in the recoil shield. If you think its sacriledge to do this to a Walker repro...well what can I say...I'm a nut. If you saw the Parade of Walkers, there were some interesting mods made to Walkers back in the day. More than few had loading lever catches added. One had actually been turned into full rifle-stocked carbine.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I'm not a Walker-ophile but I have the same urge. Infatuated with the Paterson, I made myself one from a beater '49 Colt pocket. Still not satisfied I finally found a NIB Uberti Paterson repro. Another repro I bought is a LeMat revolver, with a 20 ga. perc shotgun barrel with the cylinder rotating around it. Most repros today are well made, fit & finish & good when you know you'll never have a real one.

MY DIY Paterson

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very sweet Patterson there. There was one recently on gunbroker I bid on, although I wasn't too excited about the plum colored finish
on the frame.
I too own a Le Mat. It's a earlier Navy Arms Pietta engraved cavalry model. I paid $250 for it at small gun show 3 months ago in the box. The fit and finish is superior to any repro revolver currently being produced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts