Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given an Italian Colt 1851 (rounded trigger guard) and am clueless as to whether or not this firearm is suitable for fire or even the specifics of use.

Along the right hand side of the octagonal barrel it says, "XX9 CAL .36 NAVY MODEL MADE IN ITALY, whereas on the left it says "BLACK POWDER ONLY". There are also matching serial numbers on the barrel and receiver 22808. Likewise, the barrel , cylinder and frame each have two proof marks, a star above the letters "PN" and a second that is a star above what can only be described as two crossed swords (as best I can describe) over a shield. Do these proof marks give any indication of the location or time of mfg.?

The cylinder has the depiction of a naval battle with the words "Engaged 10 May 1843" and then PAT N. with NO numbers.

it is a pretty cool looking firearm, but not knowing how to operate it, field strip, etc. I am not sure it is worth hanging on to.

Thoughts and thank you
Bruce

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
the gun is a recently made -- last 40 years or so -- copy of the 1851 navy colt. it is a percussion revolver that must be loaded with loose powder and lead balls and primed with percussion caps. there are books on how to go about this.

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
It's one of the many thousands of reproduction 1851 Navys made over the past 40 years or so.
These are a lot of fun and I would recommend getting some black powder, round balls and percussion caps and go out and shoot it!
Welcome to the forum!

....ahh, mike was quicker on the draw. No pun intended! Some of what we said was word for word :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks guys..I will be looking for a book and after a little more in-depth inspection I will certainly give it a shot. It is also pretty safe to assume that this firearm has no inherent value either?

Bruce

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Thanks guys..I will be looking for a book and after a little more in-depth inspection I will certainly give it a shot. It is also pretty safe to assume that this firearm has no inherent value either?

Bruce
Only as a shooter. In good condition these go for $150-$200 used. Sometimes less. You should go have some fun with it :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that is a document for beginning black powder revolver shooters. Thanks a bunch! I'll keep you posted when the snow clears and the lead balls start flying.

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts