Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just wanted to get a feel for or advice on a new SAA peacemaker. I used a Ruger black hawk 4 5/8 .45 LC for many years as a field gun I took it every where, camping, horse back riding, vacations etc. I used varied ammo including some monster loads from Buffalo Bore while in bear country. I have a home in El Paso Tx and about 5 years ago It was burglarized and gun safe with over 14 hand guns was stolen after fighting with the insurance company I only received 120.00 for my blk hawk. Over 15k in hand guns was reduced to a check a little over 3,500.00. and 500. 00 for my safe. To get back on topic I recently won a Brand new Colt 45 peacemaker at a local gun match with my glock 17 one of 5 handguns they didn't take because they where in a drawer on my work bench having just cleaned them. It came in a Cardboard colt box brand new no special marking or edition. Most of my collectibles started as guns I would use such as colt king cobra that was stolen I carried that around for years later to find out it had a nice collection value so I retired it and used the blk hawk. The new Colt is the only revolver I have since the robbery, I carry a colt 1911 in 38 super but my question is since colt is still producing SAA is there any point in keeping this pristine, the cylinder has never been turned It's in exactly in the condition it was in when it was presented. I want advice on making this my new field gun and what loads should I use on it. The Blk Hawk eat everything and spat it out accurately. The question is should I keep this as a collectable and is there a collection value to a current production run or is it safe to use as a field gun with modern loads. I need some sincere advise and do don,t wish to be talked down too. I had replacement value insurance and it sucked because I paid the extra premiums on sporting equipment for 20 years and got screwed.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. My place was also robbed in Houston Texas yeasr ago, and I lost a few guns.
I bought a new SAA a few years ago. I don't think that the new ones have that much collectors value, so I shoot mine. I am very careful with it ,like I am with all my guns. But I certainly use it when I want to. It shoots a very good group and is very close to POA so I am pleased with it. It is the newer 3rd gen with the bushing and the fit and the finish are excellent. It is a beautiful revolver. I do baby it more than a heavily used gun though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You should definately shoot it, develop a good load for it, and carry it in the field. For loads, I like a cast 250-270 grain bullet at 850-900 fps. 8.0 to 8.5 grains of Unique does this very nicely and shoots well in all my Colt SAAs. Stay away from extra hot "Ruger only" as they run more pressure than you want in a Colt size SAA. Find (or make) a good secure rig that's comfortable for your field work and you'll be in business.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
It's a current production Colt, lots of them out there now and there still will be in 10 or 20 years; shoot the heck out of it and enjoy it for what it is. I shot 8.5 grains of Unique behind a 250 gr. SWC for years.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Let me state right off the bat, I have 15 Colts and like them all. But I also have as many Rugers that I like just as well. So my responses are not based on any particular brand loyalty, just logic and experience with both.

So your question brings up several issues to consider:

1. The Colt is a 5 shot to carry around safely, a new model Ruger is a safe-to-carry 6 shot.
2. As was stated above the Ruger .45, if a large frame, will digest any .45 loads, the Colt is limited.
3. As new in the box the Colt is worth as much as it ever will be in the near future and its current value can buy you 3 Rugers. And same or less of other guns you may want. So if you're thinking you might sell it at some time, do it now while still new and unfired.
4. If you want to shoot and use it, don't worry about future value and just enjoy the heck out of it. All guns appreciate somewhat and certainly used Colts.
5. Knowing the vintage and barrel length would help me advise you on whether or not to keep it or sell it. If you don't know, I can look up when it was made with the serial (or partial # if you prefer).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Capstan Thanks for your reply, that was my thinking I just wanted opinions from people who know and love colts. It is a beautiful Gun thnaks once again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Monsai your right i shoot heck out of my colt 1911 in 38 super and since the SAA is still in production prices I should just enjoy this new gun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I loved my Ruger Blk Hawk (just as much as my Ruger 4 in security 6 in 357. mag ) these were my go too guns for camping, hiking, horseback riding, vacationing,field carry. Thinking back now I purchased the Blk Hawk because I could not afford the Colt SAA and I always wanted my cowboy gun....it help put things in perspective when Getting advice from knowledgeable people such as your self. Thank you for all your help I will try and tack a picture of the gun and load it here along with the serial number and maybe you can help identify what generation it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts