Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just won these carved pearls at auction. Pity they are for a SW. great old Japanese pearls carved in classic Japanese Dragon Motif. Wish they would fit a pre war colt.

Ivory Carving Stone carving Footwear

Attachments

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Oh that's a hoot!

I was going to bid on those, and forgot to bid!

Lol...

They are missing their Escutcheons of course, and, possibly, never had them installed.

I kind of liked them, even though I do not usually like over-busy Oriental Carvings.

Congratulations Mike!

They are a cool old set of Pearl Stocks!

What does the B Side look like?

Any markings or symbols or anything?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had I got them, I was going to try them on my 1930s Square Butt, S & W 'M&P' Snubby, which is factory Nickel.
If I decide not to keep them I will give you a private first shot. Or you could sell me your snubby, I would of course have to find provenance that it was Charlie Chan's personal sidearm.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
If I decide not to keep them I will give you a private first shot. Or you could sell me your snubby, I would of course have to find provenance that it was Charlie Chan's personal sidearm.

Quite so!

It would totally bring on a 'Charlie Chan' sort of mystique to my old Snubster.

It's funny how there are some things I can get along with wonderfully, and some things I can not.

This, I could get along with.

Now I wish I had been thinking of stuff like this when I lived in or near San Francisco in the 1960s and 1970s.

Chinatown was one of my favorite haunts, especially the semi dusty little out of the way Stores which still had the Pictures of "FDR" and the 'National Recovery Act Eagle' in frames, on one Wall.

Man, they had oodles of wacky and eclectic old stuff to paw through and oooo and ahhhh over, too.

And everyone liked me, since I was mannered, quiet, skinny, chain smoking and had a bad haircut and wore 'Work Clothes', and I drove a faded 1946 Chevrolet one Ton Pick Up. All the older guys would come out wiping hands on soiled Aprons, and remarking to me, with a chin-nod to my Truck, "Like Burma Road!"

I sure liked those guys, and I wish I could have spoken Chinese to get to talk with them better. Cool old guys and tough as a Tree Trunk, too. I bet they could have hopped in to my Truck and driven it like a champ ( no synchros, so one had to know what one was doing, especially if downshifting! ).

I bet there were old Pearl and Ivory Stocks for Colts and S & Ws tucked away somewhere or other in some of those old places...wrapped in Rice Paper in those pasteboard Boxes things used to come in when from the Orient, too...

Even though yours may well be Japanese, rather than Chinese.

But heck yes! - if you ever feel like getting off them, I would love to have first crack at them so I can have my 'Charlie Chan' thing going on, with my old Nickel Snub!

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Those are gorgeous pearls. do they need new rubies in the eyes there? Amazing how they carve this material so intricitly. I'm about 90% leaning towards putting a pairof Wolf & Klar Texas carved N frame grips for sale. They are fancy and 1920's classic Texas but not as detailed as that pair you have.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Those are gorgeous pearls. do they need new rubies in the eyes there? Amazing how they carve this material so intricitly. I'm about 90% leaning towards putting a pairof Wolf & Klar Texas carved N frame grips for sale. They are fancy and 1920's classic Texas but not as detailed as that pair you have.

Those are nice!

'N-Frame', I assume?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe in that culture the eyes were not ruby or emerald but rather alabaster and ebony to provide a more life like appearance. Just a guess at this point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought this abused (dremel tool to remove rust!?!) Officer's Model Target 22 with these pearl grips on it. Left panel has a carved seated eagle and the initials "ART" or "ARC" carved into them. The other side is plain. Functions and shoots as good or better than my K-22, not bad for $125+/- from KC Cabelas.

Good side

Dremel side (after my filing and sanding)

Close up

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I bought this abused (dremel tool to remove rust!?!) Officer's Model Target 22 with these pearl grips on it. Left panel has a carved seated eagle and the initials "ART" or "CRT" carved into them. The other side is plain. Functions and shoots as good or better than my K-22, not bad for $125+/- from KC Cabelas.

Good side

Dremel side (after my filing and sanding)

Close up
That price was crazy. Crazy generous!!! and the left panel is carved. Really, what a deal there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I didn't think to take before pictures but it was worked over pretty hard. Very deep gouges. I left the trigger and inside of trigger guard as it was to remind me how bad the entire left side looked when I got it.

The rust was bad enough but the dremel did much more damage.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At first I thought they were of Japanese origin due to my thinking there were Chrysanthemum in the carving along the dragons back. In reflection though the dragons faces remind me of the dancing dragons you see in Chinese folk festivals. We had 2 of these on the set of "Once upon a Time in China and America" a Kung Fu western filmed at Brackettville , Texas. Jet lee was just getting started and the star. I was lucky enough to be a featured extra and the special effects coordinator/ armorer. It was about 1996 and I had just retired from the AF.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
At first I thought they were of Japanese origin due to my thinking there were Chrysanthemum in the carving along the dragons back. In reflection though the dragons faces remind me of the dancing dragons you see in Chinese folk festivals. We had 2 of these on the set of "Once upon a Time in China and America" a Kung Fu western filmed at Brackettville , Texas. Jet lee was just getting started and the star. I was lucky enough to be a featured extra and the special effects coordinator/ armorer. It was about 1996 and I had just retired from the AF.
Now, that's what I call in interesting story, Mike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How does it shoot. I have a 1934 and a 1948 vintage that shoot great.
Mine shoots great as well. I also have an early '50s K-22; just depends on the day which one shoots better than the other. I don't believe that it was fired much, the action is incredibly smooth, the cylinder chambers and inside of barrel are like mirrors. And to think that. I almost didn't buy it because the dremel work looked so bad.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Of possible interest, an extract from my Gun-Fix notes:

Repair Mother of Pearl Grips?

Like any other repair, the extent of damage can affect the quality of repair.
The procedure is simple for the usual small knocked off corners. Basically I
grind the surface of the break and glue in a piece of MOP and re-shape/polish
it. An almost invisible repair is possible,

First need is a piece of MOP to glue in. Old pearl buttons are a good source.
In big-city department store button shops I have found a huge variety. I've
paid couple bucks per button, generally several on a card. Your grandma may
have just what you want. Maybe internet auctions.

The Dev-Con 5 minute epoxy is best. It is water-transparent when it sets up.
The slow one has a yellow tinge. With a reasonably good fit, the joint can be
invisible.

My best accomplishment is a pair of S&W N frame MOPs, damaged. The curved part
at the top was badly chipped away with some missing. I found a big old pearl
button, the kind with a thread tab on the back and no thru-hole. I carefully
ground away a good fit to the grip and to the gun and epoxied it in place. It
defies detection as a repair.

As with any first time job, it's a good idea to do some experimenting to get the hang
of it. When I screwed up my first attempt, I just ground out what I had put in and
did it right next time.

Post Note - I have quite a lot of pearl & I could contribute some to a serious cause.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Having ruby eyes installed in a few of my grips, real rubies that size cost me $3 - $5 apiece plus a lot more for installation by a jeweler. You can buy synthetic rubies on eBay in dozen batches for 10 to 25 cents apiece depending on size, but not as deep red as a real ruby.

Synthetic I installed ---

Real rubies jeweler installed ---

All are faceted which is not seen in the pix, maybe due camera flash reflection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.