Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope the pics come thru: would like some opinions on this one, just got it in yesterday. Removed original wood grips to get some pics of grip frame and internals. This is a K38483 serial number 6''.
Several members have stated that all nickel guns had nickel front sight pins ( this has blue pins ). This was originally thought to be a stainless gun but serial number is way too early( 1981 per Colt ). The grip area, top of rib, and triggerguard area is a satin or matte look, the rest of revolver is a polished matte look for lack of a better term. I will upload some pics of those areas later. There is no " S '' anywhere on revolver.
I'm thinking it must be an electroless nickel finish, although I see no specific markings on grip frame to notate such a finish (if Colt even marked this finish). I want to mention one really odd thing about the grip area: when I pulled the grips ( wooden with a dark screw ), there was still some oil or light grease residue present on left side ( this can still be seen in one photo ). The right side upper grip area which is third picture at top had some small lettering visible, very faint, was almost like a decal transfer. Took a pic of it. Did several more pics of different areas, went back to the " decal imprint " and it was gone. No trace whatsoever of it being there. Guess the daylight ruined it ! This one is getting a factory letter just to satisfy my curiosity, costs be damned!!:D

Attachments

·
Banned
354 Posts
Is there an "s" stamped inside the ejector shroud or under the ejector star? If not, stainless is unlikely (could have been a random early STS). Could be factory e-nickel with a front sight change or could be a refinish. Really, the only way to know is to call archives and get it lettered.

EITHER way it looks great and I would lean more towards the e-nick judging from the pics you have posted.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,548 Posts
At that time Colt was offering bright nickel or "Royal Coltguard" which was the electroless nickel finish used only on the Python.
It's shinier then standard Coltguard used on other Colt pistols.

The first stainless Pythons began shipping late in 1982.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yep coltguard asked the same question a couple months ago, trigger guard and backstrap more of a bead blasted look
front sight should have the red insert and nickel pins, but that could have been changed anytime along the way
Red Revolver Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.