Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kahr CM9 9mm, bought it as a replacement for my 15 year old Keltec .380 I traded in. I wanted a 9mm, as small as possible, checked out several. I liked the Kimber best but due to age & failing horsepower it was almost impossible for me to rack the slide, same with the Keltec. The Kahr is about a quarter inch larger than the Kimber, length & height. So my next choice was the Kahr, less racking resistance.

I lost sight of the detail numbers but I paid $215 difference & got two boxes of 9mm included.

Two LEOs present lauded my deal saying they had one same & liked it.

I now have to make a hip pocket holster for it and take it out in my 50 acre woods and start my learning curve.

Any comments, experience or advice appreciated.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,466 Posts
I tell people to shoot the Kahr like it's a double action revolver.
The Kahr trigger is it's main attraction. Since the trigger is very similar to a DA revolver trigger, it's as safe to carry without any manual safety.

This also means you need to "learn the trigger" by practicing. The Kahr is capable of good accuracy, but like a DA revolver you have to practice to get the technique down.
Don't expect target pistol accuracy from it.

Read the manual.
Kahr mandates a 200 round break in period before fully trusting it.
Second, Kahr mandates that these should be loaded by locking the slide back, inserting a magazine and using the slide stop to chamber a round.
"Sling shoting" or loading by operating the slide manually usually causes mis-feeds in the Kahr. Not always, and some loosen up with use and allow this, but you're dealing with a small gun with a very strong recoil spring. It's just too easy to botch a reload under stress.

One watch-out on some current Kahr's is an odd hesitation of the trigger at the very end of the pull. A few have a pull that gets to the end, then seems to hesitate and require a harder pull to release the firing pin.
At least one owner had one that stopped releasing at all after a few rounds.
If you notice this on your gun, I recommend sending it in to Kahr for correction.
The trigger should have a smooth pull through to release with no stops or "hard spots" at the end of the pull.

Disassembly and reassembly can be difficult until you learn the "sweet spot" for the slide and get used to it. You can help that along by buying a Kahr assembly block on their web site. This holds the slide in just the right position.
Be careful around the slide stop spring, some people have problems with assembly and displace or damage the spring.

You'll probably need to do some experimenting to find a method of carrying magazines. One problem with the Kahr magazines is a tendency for them to shed rounds if carried loose without a magazine pouch to prevent this.

The Kahr's seem to work very well with a little grease on the slide and frame rails, barrel, and sear and firing pin contact point.
Unlike liquid lubricants, grease won't dry out or run off and will keep a carry gun properly lubed for long periods of time.

You will need to change the recoil spring more often in these tiny guns, and use FACTORY spec springs. These small guns are operating right on the edge of what's possible and stronger springs often cause problems where there were none.

Be prepared to experiment with ammo to find a brand/type of premium defense ammo your particular gun "likes". Remember, THE critical thing is reliability. Accuracy is not important in a defense pistol because any of them will be accurate enough for the job. Again, it's a defense gun not a target pistol.
It MUST fire each and every time.

I used to carry a Walther PPK/s when I couldn't carry a larger gun for some reason. I bought an early Kahr K9 stainless and was so impressed with it, I sold the Walther and now carry the Kahr almost exclusively.
It's one of the few automatics I've ever owned that just will NOT jam, no matter what ammo I used, including the 200 round break in using some horrible old Egyptian 1950's 9mm ammo.

Due to the Kahr quality, reliability, size (so close to the PPK/s I got rid of the Walther) simplicity, trigger feel, great sights, and really great grip, I consider the Kahr to be this generations Gold Standard in a small defense gun.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have the Kahr CM9 and it is a main carry gun for me. It goes in a front pocket holster nicely as well as an inside waist band holster. Accuracy has been good, nearly as good as my 2 inch snubbie revolvers. Very light, easy to clean, and so far it has been reliable. I broke it in with FMJ and then switched to JHP without any problems. I do not reload for it though. My trigger is very much as described above and now I am familiar with it. I have used it for about 600 rounds over the past 2.5 years. I have not done anything with the sights as they seem adequate as they are. I bought one extra magazine for it which means 1 in pipe and 7 in magazine for a total of 8.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I abandoned my pathetic .380 and started looking for a subcompact 9mm, I looked at the Kahrs and the like, but dismissed them for their double-action triggers. I ended up going with a SIG P938, which behaves functionally like a 1911, which is my main carry. I'm pretty happy with my choice. I hope you're just as thrilled with your Kahr!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dfarris - words of wisdom --- I'm with you all the way, especially re DA shooting. I shoot DA almost exclusively, even with my New Service snubs. Accuracy in the kind of situation likely, my pie plate at ten feet group works for me. Reminds me once I was with a friend who had been on a Navy pistol team, we shooting my K-22 in my basement. At about 25 feet I was grouping inch & a half when he starting talking about sight picture, etc. I told him, I'm shooting DA and never could hold a sight picture, so I just try to have it fire as the sight waves over the target.

I'll check out & implement your advice and cautions. When get my hip pocket holster working I'll post it here. I have in mind an updated version of this one that worked for me quite a few years with the KelTec.

I'll have to make a handy-dandy loading tool to facilitate my couple hundred break-in rounds. My decrepit 90 year old hands just couldn't get #6 into the mag. OTOH 5 plus the chamber round is the same number I have in my New Service snubs.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I went to a pm9 a long time ago, but I worked the trigger over as well. Since I shoot my DA Revolvers in DA mode almost exclusively it is not a big jump for me. Congrats on moving to the dark side :)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
good choice imo. #1.. I'm a colt guy through and through but the kahr cm9 has been my carry gun of choice for at least the past year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.