Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neat stuff Feral, and thank you!

Looks to be Dan Chesiak ivory and if I were to guess Ken Hurst carving? KH overlay the D on the initials.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Side story, about two months ago my grand daughter presented me with my first great grandson. They named him "Carver". I had never hear Carver as a first name before. Mentioned it to the neighbor woman and coincidentally she also has a young grandson named Carver. Must be a new fad. Told his parents thought he would have been a gunman like me, not a "blademan".
You might ask that Colt historian, Kathleen Hoyt about just who KDH is on the letter with that pair of guns. Has to be the same guy they used.

·
Premium Member
20,522 Posts
I believe Ken's full name is William Kenneth Hurst. I asked Ken to carve some grips for em in the 1990's. He said he does not do that work. He gave me the name of several people who did that type of work.

I know he has the talent, but if he ever did any grip work, it would have been very unusual.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll call on Monday and see if I can find out. Shouldn't be difficult info to find with what we have already.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called archives this morning. First thought there was Ken Hurst as well. But nothing to note that in the letters.

Further sleuthing brought me to the culprit here. Dennis Holland in Texas carved this pair of grips.

·
Premium Member
20,522 Posts
Great detective work!! Holland's work is truly outstanding. I wonder how much he charges to do the carving like is on your grips.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Further sleuthing brought me to the culprit here. Dennis Holland in Texas carved this pair of grips.

Mr. Holland may have also done the grips for me pictured below. Nutmeg engraved and installed the ivory. When I spoke to Jim once about the progress on the revolver he said the grips were in Texas being carved with the design I chose :).

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
saintclair said:
...Holland's work is truly outstanding. I wonder how much he charges to do the carving like is on your grips.
Dunno. But I paid Aliamo $1800 for a pair of ho hum checkered ivory with an eagle on one side. Holland's work made Nutmeg's carver at the time mine were done look like a pre schooler with a pocket knife by comparison. Ya, really that bad. I was more than pissed. Still hate those grips. Holland did a lot of the earlier ivory carving for Nutmeg. And Holland redid a few pair of my carved grips that went through Nutmeg a couple of years back. Guess I should send him my eagles.

Beautiful gun John. When did you have it built?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts