Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend brought a great 1983 3rd gen Colt today at a show, 4 3/4" .45. Full D coverage engraving, beveled flutes, 1st gen markings, silver plating, one piece pearl grips. 100% condition, $3500. I thought that was a good deal. He was told it was done by Ken Hurst. It has a K on one trigger guard side and an H on the other. The only Hurst gun I have seen marked was a full Ken Hurst stamp under the grip on the strap. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
Assuming it was engraved by Ken Hurst, it sounds like he got a bargain. Please post photos, if you can. Even if it wasn't Hurst, it may still have been a great deal, assuming quality engraving.

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
Ken Hurst has engraved many guns for me. He always marked them with a special die which he uses to stamp his name "HURST" on them. He usually stamped his name above the Frame SN, but he would sometimes do the stamping under the left grip near the top. Of course, when he first started engraving, I have no idea how he marked the guns.
There is an engraver named Kurt Horvath who could have used the marking you mentioned. Also, Harry Kell (known engraver) could have marked the gun in the manner you mentioned.

I forgot about the very famous engraver, Ken Hunt.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Guess "bargain" would depend on who actually did engrave the gun. That and just how good the engraving actually is, as well as the condition of the base gun.
After the harsh critic of the recent Harper gun I'd love to see hi-def photos of one you thought was a "good deal".

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
The engraved pocket hammerless (with extra slide) that johnh has for sell in the classified section is sure a beautifully engraved work of art!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts