Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13,069 Posts
The worst felt recoil I have experienced from a .380 ACP is from the Walther PPK. I believe it has to do with the shape of the grip and the way it pounds the thumb joint. The KelTec which weights hardly anything doesn't have near the felt recoil of the PPK for me.

· Registered
13,069 Posts
Wasn't trying to sell you on a Walther, but felt recoil is different for different people, and in a real emergency recoil will be the last concern.

The more complicated a CC gun is, the less likely it is to be of any benefit in an emergency. My wife has a revolver and an auto, and both are DA only. All she has to remember to do is pull the trigger.

· Registered
13,069 Posts
I agree that the more you shoot a pistol the more proficient you should become with it, but shooting at the range and shooting in a life and death situation are 2 completely different things. You are not going to take a target stance if your life depends on being the first to shoot, and all the sights, extended safeties, and beveled mag wells won't help. It is all about instinctive shooting when you are in a situation that requires a gun.

The DA only on a revolver is the safety. The only way it will fire is to pull the trigger, and you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.

· Registered
13,069 Posts
Ever since the second gun was built recoil has been compared, and that was the point of the thread. A very easy comparison is made when the guns are chambered for the same cartridge. A friend has a .454 Casull, and with the rubber grips recoil is absolutely painful. Change the grips to smooth wood and the felt recoil is quite a bit less though still not fun in my book. Same gun, same cartridge, different grips.

The PPK .380 is not in the same league, but felt recoil is more than the KelTec .380. Just a comparison.

1 - 4 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.