Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I went to a small gun show in Indianapolis at the Stout Field National Guard Armory. I was looking for a factory magazine for my Model 1907 Savage .32 ACP pistol (which I found!), plus old ammo (picked up some .38 Special and .32 WCF) and old factory grips (no luck). On one table I saw a box of .41 Long Colt loads in the original Western box; they had 200 gr. Lubaloy bullets and there were about 35 rounds in the box. The seller wanted $40 and I almost bought them even though I don't have anything in .41 LC (yet). But, I didn't do it!:p Next time I go tp this show I'll be on the lookout for this table and I WILL buy these cartridges if they are still to be had...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Amen, Tim. I was at a gun show in Asheville a few years back, and this one table had a bunch of relatively rare ammo at ridiculously low prices. I told the guy that it was worth considerably more than he was asking. He said he knew, and that he had hauled it to about a dozen shows and hadn't sold any of it yet. He was tired of moving it, and it wasn't going home with him again. So I bought everything he had, maybe 400 rounds, for about $60, and we both were happy. This included about 100 rounds of boxed Midway 9mm Largo, 50 rounds of Midway 8mm Nambu, 100 rounds of Santa Barbara Inox 9mm Largo in factory packaging, 60 rounds of original 9mm Steyr in stripper clips, 40 rounds of (Argentine) 7.65 Mannlicher in strippers, and a boatload of new Fiocchi 7.62 Tokarev. I have guns that shoot all of that. I had never seen original Mannlicher in strippers before, and it kept me from having to jury-rig something for the Mannlicher 1905.

Buck

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know you need a .41 Long Colt revolver.
I have an Army Special in .38 Special, if I could find one like it, in similar condition in .41 LC, I'd join the .41 Club! Good for you Buck on your deal!

Reactions: VaqueroAZ

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Guys, I am glad I saw this thread! I am new to the Forum and learning about Colt revolvers; so bear with me if I make some 'dumb" comment. I have Colt revolvers in a number of calibers, except the .41 Colt. I want one of these calibers but saw where ammo was almost impossible to find. I don't want the collectors ammo, but some shooting ammo. Is there another case that can be converted to the .41 LC? I have been reloading for waaaay too many years, so I understand the loading for the "odd" calibers. Thanks in advance for the information!

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I've seen a box of .41 by ultramax and it was about $90 Thought that was high for current production ammo but I haven't seen a box since, so I don't know if they still make it . Either way, it's rare and think I might grab a box since I don't reload anymore.

·
Registered
11,706 Posts
In years past the ammo companies would occasionally make a run of obsolete ammo, even down to the .41 rimfire derringer ammo.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I had a similar find a month ago. I have never bothered to shoot my .38 ACP pistols because of the similarly obsolete ammo. At a local gun shop they had a table of reloaded ammo, and there was a plastic box of .38ACP with the proper headstamp! I talked them down to about $12, because "I don't know who reloaded this", which was true. I got home, pulled the bullets, deep-sixed the powder, and now I'm deciding on a load to restore them together. Twelve bucks for 50 primed, new .38 ACP brass (unfired starline I think) and bullets ain't bad!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Guys, I am glad I saw this thread! I am new to the Forum and learning about Colt revolvers; so bear with me if I make some 'dumb" comment. I have Colt revolvers in a number of calibers, except the .41 Colt. I want one of these calibers but saw where ammo was almost impossible to find. I don't want the collectors ammo, but some shooting ammo. Is there another case that can be converted to the .41 LC? I have been reloading for waaaay too many years, so I understand the loading for the "odd" calibers. Thanks in advance for the information!
Starline usually has it for a reasonable price. Problem is the bullet is an outside lubed bullet like a 22 LR. Try GAD for some cast bullets. Western Bullet makes it but they're slow and poor communication. Buffalo Arms also has bullets but are pricey.

BTW One of my favorite calibers.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You never know what you will find. More than once, I've bought a box of some odd caliber old ammo and then found the gun that shoots it. Sometimes a few years go buy, but the gun usually is at a good price. I've even bought guns because I had stocks that would fit them.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I once bought a Silver Chrome Hi-Power in .40 S&W because I had a couple of Mec-Gar magazines for it that I got for $1 each at a Jumbo Sports closing. About 5 years between the two purchases. That taught me that I really don't like .40 Hi-Powers (too heavy, too thick, awkward balance vs. the HP 9x19).

Buck

·
Registered
12,832 Posts

Here's a Thread for ya -

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/67749-official-41-club.html

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
You never know what you will find. More than once, I've bought a box of some odd caliber old ammo and then found the gun that shoots it. Sometimes a few years go buy, but the gun usually is at a good price. I've even bought guns because I had stocks that would fit them.
That is a perfectly good reason to buy a gun right there. Amazing how WE know that it's simply common knowledge that if you already have the stocks, then that's automatic justification of the gun purchase. Spouses seem to not have full understanding of GBJ, (gun buying justification). " what ? You spent how much because you had some stockings that fit??" (I was going to use the term Pistol Buying Justification... But we can't use PBJ as it's a universal term for the worlds best kids sandwich)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just picked up a box of 50 from Graff's reloading supplies for $41. They have a small supplier (can't remember the name) that makes it for them. They had 10 boxes at their warehouse, and it was in the store waiting for me in three days...can't beat that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Starline usually has it for a reasonable price. Problem is the bullet is an outside lubed bullet like a 22 LR. Try GAD for some cast bullets. Western Bullet makes it but they're slow and poor communication. Buffalo Arms also has bullets but are pricey.

BTW One of my favorite calibers.
DO NOT go to GAD for bullets!! I've been waiting over three months for some .38 LC heel bullets. He won't respond to emails. I finally got them from Alpha Bravo Bullets. I don't know if they have .41 heel bullets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts