Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
King Cobra 357 MAG Light strikes

I was shooting my Colt King Cobra 357 Mag. I am getting FTF on the same 3 chambers about 75% of the time the primers do have a ding in them not as much as the chambers that fire consistantly they will fire on the 2nd time though in the same chamber.
I am shooting reloads
Hornady 125 gr FP/XTP
Win brass
Win 296 20gr
CCI 550 primers
This has happened the both times i used these loads
before that i had a box of Rem factory loads mi friend said they seemed kind of hot but i did'nt think any thing of it all of them shot with no FTF.
These last 2 times are the only time this has ever happened to this pistol
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,706 Posts
Re: King Cobra 357 MAG Light strikes

The first inference is, there's a problem with your reloads.
This could be something as simple as failure to clean the primer pockets during reloading.

If the gun doesn't misfire with a variety of brands of factory ammo, it's pretty sure the problem is with your reloads.

If there are misfires with factory ammo, there are a number of possible causes, but if this is a used gun, your FIRST check should be the mainspring.

It's very common for used guns to have shortened springs, or to have had a light weight spring installed.

Another possible cause is fouled chambers.
Chambers with build up of fouling can "cushion" the cartridge and cause mis-fires.
This fouling can be very hard to see and difficult to remove in normal cleaning, so many people assume there IS no fouling.

Get a bronze chamber brush from Brownell's and give the chambers a good scrubbing.

If there is still a problem after cleaning, and installing a genuine FACTORY spring, I'd return the gun to Colt for diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: King Cobra 357 MAG Light strikes

[ QUOTE ]
If the gun doesn't misfire with a variety of brands of factory ammo, it's pretty sure the problem is with your reloads.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would agree if the FTF's were randon but they occur in the same 3 chambers 2 next to each other and one seperate it's not like they skip each cyl where one fires and the next does not.

The gun is not used so i know the main spring is the original
[ QUOTE ]
Another possible cause is fouled chambers.
Chambers with build up of fouling can "cushion" the cartridge and cause mis-fires.
This fouling can be very hard to see and difficult to remove in normal cleaning, so many people assume there IS no fouling

[/ QUOTE ] I do plan on giving it a real good cleaning with particular attention to the cylinder i normally scrub any gun I have shot thoughly coulb be possible it has fouling built up i did not see
Also i was going to contact colt to see if they have delt with This particular problem before
Thanks John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts