Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info about my Cobra, so I came to the source of all Colt Knowledge..
It has a 4" Blued King Cobra that reads "38 SPECIAL CARTRIDGE" in the cannon, instead of 357 magnum
What can you tell me about it? never seed another one...
Does it shoot the .357?
thank you!

·
Administrator
7,004 Posts
I see you're in South America . Welcome .

Are 357 mag revolvers permitted for civilian sales ?
If yes , there's a chance your's was part of a police dept order . Some departments specified 38 Spl only . I've seen Ruger GP100's sent to France that were 38 Spl only .

If your's is marked 38 Spl it's unlikely it'll chamber the 357 .

Can you share a photo of your's ?

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
That's certainly unusual...never seen or heard of a King Cobra in any caliber but .357. I guess it makes sense as Colt made Trooper Merk III revolvers in .38 Special for contracts to law enforcement. Apparently some police chiefs had "magumitis".

Still...a .38 Special King Cobra must be a rare piece...nice pickup.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
You definitely have a super desirable snake there! I’d be interested to know if it will NOT chamber a 357? If it does not, it’s like Mitch said, a police order in 38 special and Incredibly desirable! If it chambers a 357 then the same thing happened on the “357” anacondas. There is a very small serial range (I know of 3 guns-handled one), in which the backside got accidentally rolled with the king cobra stamp, just like yours. The front side still said Anaconda 44 magnum. These last guns will not letter, and if ever sent back to Colt, be highly unlikely, imo, to get back with same erroneous stamp. If it does not chamber a 357, a factory letter would be worth getting “in spades”.

Reactions: dandak

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
I remember reading an early king cobra owners manual and it did list in its caliber options a 38 special chambering. I believe this was discussed on this forum referring to one or some king cobras in Mexico.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Yeah, I wondered too.
Google translated it as "Welcome A very rare revolver for the EU Congratulations"
I wasn't sure about the "EU" part.
Vic

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts