Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,

I am looking for a set of factory wood grips for my King Cobra that I just acquired. I have had a look on Gunbroker and on the net at another few places including ebay ( crapola available as per usual ) but cannot seem to find a pair. Does anyone have any advice on the procurement of these and anything I should be looking for regarding the authenticity of them.

Cheers in advance Peg

The ones I am thinking of are pictured here... Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
You have good taste :). What size is your KC? If it is 2.5 inch you want the Smaller Combat style like seen on the Combat Cobra. If you have the 6 inch then you want the Target style (like the other 2 shown), 4 inch could go either way, whichever you like the best. Basically you have the 3 styles shown, there are just a few slight variations in wood, checkering/smooth, and a few different medallions. Here are the best fakes I've seen:
Gun Grip - COLT V FRAME MKIV MKV TROOPER WALNUT GRIPS I have no idea what the originals are selling for now, but they were selling in the 225-250 range (Mint/Perfect) about a year ago. I have not looked at any of these grips in the past 10 months or so and hope there aren't any really good fakes out yet. I have some I may would consider selling and they are all New/Mint. I have the ones like on the 4 inch with the gold "flaming mane" (I call it Big Horse) 150th medallion, like the logo on combat cobra box. These still have the factory Colt Firearms Blue and Gold packing but have been opened. I have the same in the 'Combat style" with checkering in the middle and same medallion (no packaging). I also have the very scarce Smooth (no checkering) with regular gold medallion in the same style as on the 6 inch. These are still sealed in the Blue and Gold packaging but these need to stay sealed because they are very rare sealed. I wouldn't sell them to anyone I thought was going to open them, they wouldn't be cheap either:). It is very hard to find them with the packaging and just about impossible to find any of them sealed. I may have one more variation of the checkered target style, I will have to look in the other 2 boxes. Its way past my bedtime, I will try to look tomorrow in the other boxes.

Reactions: PEG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You have good taste :). What size is your KC? If it is 2.5 inch you want the Smaller Combat style like seen on the Combat Cobra. If you have the 6 inch then you want the Target style (like the other 2 shown), 4 inch could go either way, whichever you like the best. Basically you have the 3 styles shown, there are just a few slight variations in wood, checkering/smooth, and a few different medallions. Here are the best fakes I've seen:
Gun Grip - COLT V FRAME MKIV MKV TROOPER WALNUT GRIPS I have no idea what the originals are selling for now, but they were selling in the 225-250 range (Mint/Perfect) about a year ago. I have not looked at any of these grips in the past 10 months or so and hope there aren't any really good fakes out yet. I have some I may would consider selling and they are all New/Mint. I have the ones like on the 4 inch with the gold "flaming mane" (I call it Big Horse) 150th medallion, like the logo on combat cobra box. These still have the factory Colt Firearms Blue and Gold packing but have been opened. I have the same in the 'Combat style" with checkering in the middle and same medallion (no packaging). I also have the very scarce Smooth (no checkering) with regular gold medallion in the same style as on the 6 inch. These are still sealed in the Blue and Gold packaging but these need to stay sealed because they are very rare sealed. I wouldn't sell them to anyone I thought was going to open them, they wouldn't be cheap either:). It is very hard to find them with the packaging and just about impossible to find any of them sealed. I may have one more variation of the checkered target style, I will have to look in the other 2 boxes. Its way past my bedtime, I will try to look tomorrow in the other boxes.
Thank you for the replay Big_gus I have a nice 6" 1989 vintage so I have been told, Yes the two others as you mentioned would better suit the 6" Cobra... I have to agree the checkered wood are great looking grips although I do realize that the rubber ones are more functional they are not for me.

Ha ha yes any grips that I get will be used on the gun at the range so I will be looking for some that have been taken out of the packaging just so I don't feel bad about doing it myself...

If you happen muster up a pair that is surplus your requirements maybe we could come to an arrangement.

Cheers Peg

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Nice acquisition Peg! For range shooting I opted for a pair of aftermarket rosewood stocks. Found at ebay and Gunbroker, they are not expensive and fill the shooter's hand nicely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice acquisition Peg! For range shooting I opted for a pair of aftermarket rosewood stocks. Found at ebay and Gunbroker, they are not expensive and fill the shooter's hand nicely.

Cheers Tony, She is a shooter but I do love them Colt Wheel guns... I understand what your saying re range use and aftermarket grips but I have to say I love the original gear and see no substitute..

Lovely KC you have there by the way mate !!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Basically you have the 3 styles shown, there.
Josh, there are only 2 styles shown. The 4" and 6" are the same. Those are the V target walnut last edition with standard gold medallions and not the walnut stained hardwood like the 1st edition. The snubby has V combat rosewood with "flaming mane" or "big horse" as you refer to them.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Josh, there are only 2 styles shown. The 4" and 6" are the same. Those are the V target walnut last edition with standard gold medallions and not the walnut stained hardwood like the 1st edition. The snubby has V combat rosewood with "flaming mane" or "big horse" as you refer to them.
I can see you saying that, and I agree too, technically they both would be the V frame Target styles. The reason I said the 3 is there are slight differences in the shape of the 2 Target grips. The ones on the 6 inch are a little different at top and a little more straight looking of course, basically the earlier style grips like you said. I guess this would be kinda like the slight differences between the early type 3 Pythons and the later type 3's. They are still considered "3rd gens", but with slight obvious differences. I wanted to point that out to the OP that he would see 3 different "shapes", so there wasn't any confusion for him on what was original "styles". By the way Chris, I wanted to add, I still consider you the most knowledgeable on these V frame stocks :).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Peg - you just have to be lucky. It took me a few years to find some of the original colt grips for my KC's. I am still looking for the other type.
Just a word of warning they won't come cheap!

Also found some V frame service grips!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe it is just me but I never liked the wood stocks that came with some KC's and early Anacondas. They look cheap compared to the Target stocks that came on the 357, Trooper, Diamondbacks and Pythons. My KC enhances sport black banner rubber stocks and I think it matched the Stainless well.Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
DELETE, browser messed up and double posted.:(

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
There is this style as well...
Yes that's the checkered combat style I was referring to having. I see those come up about the most common of the KC styles, but they still arent seen very often. Only other style I see more often is the first very dark stained checkered hardwood style which came on alot of the MKV troopers. I never cared a whole lot for the looks of those and I believe that may be the style Seabee is referring to? maybe???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Peg - you just have to be lucky. It took me a few years to find some of the original colt grips for my KC's. I am still looking for the other type.
Just a word of warning they won't come cheap!

Also found some V frame service grips!

Hey Thorn323, Great serpents mate.

Those on your 6" are my favorite very nice....!! Cheers for sharing..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Keep watching eBay. Those types of stocks show up there now and then. I just picked up a mint set for my Bright Stainless Steel, King Cobra for $199 plus shipping, which is a great price in today's market.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts