Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I found a 6" SS King Cobra & a 6" S&W M28-2 for sale, both 98%, both temptingly priced. The K.C. was $75 more but came w/ box & papers. I got both, although I really wanted K.C. but figured I wouldn't lose money on M28.

Members of the S&W forum overwhelmingly favored the M28 for obvious reasons. There were a few pos. but mostly neg. comments on K.C., some openly hostile to this specific model. Lousy, inconsistent trigger, weak design, & the proverbial timing issues.

Since I've had a chance to compare these 2 guns I've come to the conclusion both are excellent, but I prefer the K.C. Excellent trigger, terrific accuracy, & better fit to my smallish hands than S&W. Even better than my Pythons. My new favorite .357. Has this gun historically been underrated?

It does have a small problem, though. Within firing say 24 rounds the ejector rod loosens to the point where the cylinder can't close. The rod can be fully removed.
It can easily be tightened & all is OK, but works loose again. Should I apply Locktite or is there something more serious wrong that requires a trip to the gunsmith? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
I'd check the rod threads for any signs of excessive wear or stripping. If it looks Ok, I'd put a small dab of Blue (Temporary) LocTite on it.

I find the comments about the "weak" design of the KC hilarious.
No less than Master pistolsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen's stated in his Colt revolver book, that in his opinion, "the Colt KC may well be the strongest mid-framed revolver ever made". He attributed this to Colt's superior forged frame and cylinder, and high-grade heat treating.

People constantly knock the Python, claiming the S&W action is simpler and stronger, with more massive parts. The swipes at the KC are funny, considering that the KC has a simpler, stronger, and more massive action than the S&W's.

As to the KC "Timing issues".
WHAT timing issues.
The KC has far more reliable timing than the S&W pistols.
It's EXTREMELY rare to see a KC with a timing problem NOT caused by somebody trying to "tune" the action, and doing it wrong. KC's just don't give much trouble from actual wear.

The one "Weakness" of the Colt Trooper Mark III/King Cobra guns is a potential firing pin problem.
SOME, (not many) but SOME of these Colts have firing pins that are too hard.
To much dry firing and a too-hard pin can break. This requires a trip back to the factory for a replacement of the pin, since the pin is a factory ONLY replacement.
NEVER allow anyone other than the factory to attempt a pin replacement, since the job requires special factory-only tooling.

In all, the Colt King Cobra is HELL for tough, and built like a tank. people brag on how tough Ruger's are. It's my personal belief, based on number of problems seen in both designs, that the KC will eat a Ruger and spit steel bullets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tend to agree with dfariswheel. I try not to get caught up in these religious crusades but the simple fact is that every Colt and S&W has their relative advantages. Like many, I certainly prefer S&W's out of the box trigger pull, especially in DA mode. That makes me a more accurate shooter with S&W's but I can get really close with a tuned Colt. Of course, my 1970's era Python blows everything out of the water. After 25+ years of collecting, hunting and plinking I just love both guns and own many examples of each. None of them have ever let me down because their performance is directly proportional to their care and feeding. Frame strength has never been an issue. By the way-- almost every Colt is more S-E-X-Y than almost every Smith!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shortcut,
Don't mean to be nosey- but can tell us what you paid for the KC? My dealer has a nice one for $400 with no box--- seems a bit high. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I collect S&Ws and a member of the S&W Forum as well as the SWCA. As a voice of reason let me dispell the "my gun is better than you gun" arguments. Get the King Cobra. The balance, heft and pointing characteristics are far better than the S&W Model 28. All revolvers chambered in magnum cartridges will have some problems in the long run.

[This message has been edited by Albert Shear (edited 07-03-2003).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid $350 for K.C. w/ blue plastic box & papers, $275 for M28, no box. The M28 looked unfired & is very tight, the K.C. has been used (cylinder ring) but is very slick . The K.C. was owned by the daughter of the gun shop owner where I got it. She told me its background (seems she preferred her GP100 to the K.C.) & he said it was ordered from the factory w/ an enhanced trigger. I've known these people for years & don't doubt them but is this something that was commonly available from the factory, free of charge if you asked?
At a gunshow last weekend I saw 3 M28's ranging in price from $300 to $350. I saw 3 K.C's - all asking $600.
dfariswheel - thanks for the info. Threads appear to be OK, so blue LocTite it is

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend of mine has a new King Cobra with 4 inch tube, the gun is fantastic apealing and it's well made and as long as i can see strong enough for the .357 magie.

I prefer the s&w da pullbut the colt revolvers are worth the money.

I tried to buy the KC of my friend but he's reluctant to sell it.

IMO colt revolvers are equal to S&W ones just a little diferent but I would mine to buy a colt sixgun.

Manny

·
Registered
52 Posts
I own Smiths over Colts (revolvers & pistols) at least 3 to 1 in favor of Smiths. Smiths are a very good gun, but they are common. Don't get me wrong... I like my Smith & Wessons a lot, but...

Colts ARE the gun that won the West after all. I grew up hearing "Colt". My grandfather had a Colt. My father had a Colt. I have my father's Colt (SAA 44 Spl.) There's something about that young horse.

I know the Colt company has fallen on very hard times. But that doesn't erase over 150 years of leadership in the American arms industry.

One of these gun magazines last month (I think) listed the four most important American cartridges of all time; 45LC, 45ACP, 30-06, and a fourth which escapes me right now. Two of the four are synonymous with the name Colt. Colt is embedded in my American West psyche.

Smith & Wessons are nice and excellent handguns. I just didn't grow up listening to my grandfather talk about his Smith. He always talked about the time or two when he had his Colt along with him when he really needed it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You made a good decision in buying them both. I have no experience with a KC or a 28. I have mostly S&W's but have a growing interest in Colts. I will stay away from the "which is best issue.' Just folks personal opinions are what i usually end up with and prefer to form my own.

My favorite shooter (and most accurate) at this time seems to be and old fixed sight Colt OP with a 6" barrel...I love to shoot it !

------------------
C&L

·
Registered
4 Posts
dafisrweel my colt blood brother. i love colts as much as you. but the kc will eat a ruger and spit steel bullets? i don't think so blood brother i don't thank so.

------------------
I LOVE THE COLT KING COBRA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dafisrweel my colt blood brother. i love colts as much as you. but the kc will eat a ruger and spit steel bullets? i don't think so blood brother i don't think so.

------------------
I LOVE THE COLT KING COBRA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts